Can't install WD Boost driver for SSHD 1TB/8GB

I’m trying to install the latest WD Boost driver for my SSHD that came with a Lenovo Z50-75 laptop.

I get the following error: “Unable to detect WD Solid State Hybrid Drive. Completion code: 0”

Drive model is “WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD-8GB”, read using WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows.

The funny thing is that I also cannot open a support ticket, it does not recognizes my device model and serial number as valid (what the ?!?!?!).

SATA is in AHCI mode, no RAID, and the chipset is AMD (no Intel RST).

Please advise me what to do.

Hello,

See if the following link helps:

Hi. I don’t think that topic applies to me at all. My drive is a SSHD, not a dual.drive. I’m trying to install the WD Boost driver, version: 3.34.433.74, to make the SSHD part availalble as a cache.
And as I already said, the most unusual thing is that the WD support site says my drive model and serial are not valid…?!

I recommend you contact WD Support directly for assistance with this.

http://support.wdc.com/contact.aspx

Can’t install WD Boost Driver for 4Tb / 8Gb SSHD
Same problem as Bogdan-Enache trying to install a WD 4Tb SSHD on a brand new Dell XPS desktop - driver download (WD BOOST) apparently won’t run under Windows 10 - spent a long time with WD on phone with NO progress - the WD guy on the end seemed unaware of the problem with this drive. The drive installed OK and works (Read/Write) but only as a standard drive so Flash memory is not configured and running to boost the speed - still waiting for a reponse to my e-mails.
Alarmingly for a drive that is supposed to be comparatively new (I thought) and competing with other makes, after some browsing this problem has been around for a while and there are many users reporting the same problem - WD has reported elsewhere that this drive was only supplied as OEM (original equipment manufacturer) and it was not supposed to be supplied as an independent drive unit (although Amazon and loads of other suppliers can sell you this drive) !!!
This is pretty poor service from WD and the fact that there are no drivers for the most up-to-date version of Windows is just crazy - I shall be returning the drive as not as described and will either purchase a full SSD (Samsung 1Tb) or the Seagate 4Tb SSHD which doesn’t appear to have any of the problems of the WD Blue SSHD.

I have exactly the same problem. Just purchased this WD 1TB SSHD with 8GB SSD, model number is the same as the original poster: WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD-8GB. Windows Device Manager shows the disk as installed. I have transferred my Windows installation to the WD SSHD drive and everything works fine. BUT, I could not install the WD Boost software, which is needed to get the benefit of the 8GB SSD. The installer gives the error, “Unable to detect WD Solid State Hybrid Drive. Completion code: 0”.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I also have the same problem.
I am running windows 7 ultimate on the WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0 in a Dell E6410 notebook.
While installing WD Boost I get the error “Unable to detect WD Solid State Hybrid Drive, Completion code 0”.
The Device manager shows the drive with a Microsoft driver and the correct WD model.
If this driver doesn’t install, how does one get the benefit of the 8GB SSD?
Maybe returning the drive and buying a different brand that has a hardware driven SSD on the hard drive (transparent). I didn’t realize this WD required software. Even if the WD did work, since the SSD would be software driven by the computer CPU, wouldn’t it be taxing the CPU while increasing the access speed. The net result may not even be worth while.
The more I think about this the more I am leaning towards returning the disk.

I have the same problem… Running windows 10 64bit.

g/m, Morsing…here’s the deal…as of this year WD has FINALLY admitted their “F” up…LOL…it seems that only 3 drives can be used with WD Boost…(WD10J13T, WD10S12X, & another drive…WD5000LXTZ something like that)…LOL…i actually found out that i had the 12X in one of my older PCs…so i was like “you know what? let me try it”…it stopped right before the install was over indicating a non-cache partition error (error#24)…i went to disk management…saw a partition that had nothing in it…(35GBs)…i deleted the parttion…re-tried the WD Boost…& it went thru…i rebooted…& when i did…i INSTANTLY saw the speed increase…i hated WD until Sunday afternoon…LOL…i feel that this revelation should have been told to everyone 2 years ago…anyhows…i just wanted to share with everyone about WD Boost & the drives that will work with it…i’m a believer & i’ve beared witness to WD Boost’s greatness…(laughing)…thank you all…& if any of you have a question about the specifics of WD Boost or/& disk management…feel free to write me…Peace…& God bless you & yours…

A-Weapons…South Bronx, NYC…

g/m, Bogdan…read my response to Morsing…the S21X will not work…& would have never worked…WD just wanted everyone to pay for the “new” technology…LOL…anyhows…WD has FINALLY told the truth…the 12X WILL work…the 21X will NOT work…i actually got the 12X to work…basically…the other SSHDs are just glorified HDDs…LOL…they have SOME advantages…(the 8GB cache on the 21X speeds up basic processes…but it’s a lot like freeing up space)…i’d tried the 21X & the 31X for over a year…& NOTHING!! LOL…thank God i bought a 12X & forgotten about it…LOL…my old Win7HP64 is running like an SSD drive is in it because of the Boost…once i followed the steps (again…read my rsponse to Morsing)…i immediately saw an increase in speed…there is HYPE about SSHDs…but again…i saw very good speed increase…that’s my story…& i just wanted to share with you 1) which drives work with WD Boost…& 2) how to get WD Boost to work…also…you have to do some Windows tweaking (MSCONFIG)…if you (or anyone else reading this) have any questions…(or comments)…don’t hesitate to write to me…(i’m always happy to help)…thank you all in advance…Peace…& God bless you & yours…

ER…long time…no talk to…(we’d spoken back and forth in the last couple of years)…anyhows…i actually have a question & a comment about this…(i may be biting a bullet)…LOL…i have a WD Black2…i haven’t used it yet…but i’m afraid now…i THINK that if you use firmware…(unlike software)…you can’t revert back…WD Boost is software…but to enable the 1TB end of the WD Black2…you need firmware…so i think that you’re just stuck…BUT??? that’s like saying “well?? you’re just stuck with getting hungry every 8 hours for the rest of your life”…LOL…my question is why would anyone would WANT to revert everything back when you’re basically using an SSHD drive with a 120GB Cache?? the speed would have to be crazy…i’m going to use it when i get the HP PC…(AMD A-10 8700P, 32GB Max RAM)…i want to use it on that one…& IF i get my MacBook Pro i7…want to buy another one & use it as a fusion drive…(thinking)…i don’t think that anyone can change the drives just by fomatting…i think that you’d have to wipe the drives…(shrugging my head)…i don’t know, man…LOL…want do YOU think about it…hit me back…& it’s to see that you’re still online carrying on the TECH crusade…LOL…Peace…& God bless…