Can't get Smartware to work with WD 3.0 My Passport

Hi,

I have a WDBKXH5000ABK-01 500 GB 3.0 drive and I am having issues getting the password proection to work. I had a password on it and wiped it by typing the password incorrectly 5 times. Afterwards I noticed that the software to password protect the drive was gone and I can not get it back.

Here are the steps I have taken:

1. I have updated the firmware, ensuring that SP and .net are both up to date.

2. I have installed Smartware to the system. The drive is recognized, but does not show in settings, making it impossible to password protect through this software.

3. I have downloaded the VCD manager and it does not find the drive. Info found on the forums leads me to believe this is normal on non-password protected 3.0 my passports.

4. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Smartware and Firmware updates at least twice each.

5. I have downloaded the disc imaging software from these forums to attempt to find and restore the partition that came with the drive - unsuccessfully.

6. I have downloaded the drive smartware software manually and moved it onto the drive. It does not recognize that it is being run from the drive.

Some additional information: I am running Smartware v1.6.4 and firmware 3.2.0.8.

After three hours of searching these forums and the rest of the internet for an answer, I’m still lost in the dark. Please help!

Restore the software with this steps

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5419/session/L2F2LzIvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzUxNTQyNzA1L3NpZC9DQ2hKRVk5bA%3D%3D

I have attempted these steps. However, when I try to run the software from the external drive, I get a pop-up; “Application not run from drive.”