Can't find saved files and folders have been changed to .exe

Hi everyone,

I have a very big problem and I would appreciate it if someone can help me. I updated my antivirus the other day and suddenly the WD Smartware just popped up in my icons list on the lower right side, I am not aware if it has updated itself. I remember changing the settings of the HD last year to not update itself because I am using the WD drive just for storage (music, pics, movies, etc.). May I also add that during the update process (of my AV software), the drive was plugged into my PC the whole time. After updating my antivrus to a new version (N360 2011 v5.0), I went to my WD external drive and noticed that the folders where in blue fonts. I know that this was related to compression so I went to properties and unticked this. My problem now is that all the folders have become .exe files with sample sizes od 172KB. I plugged the drive in another PC with a different AV (Avast free) and the folders have been flagged as viruses (Win32:Alman), I have since reported this as false positives. Norton do not detect the contents of the drive as virus. Now I cannot find my files and this has really been frustrating and has caused me a lot of stress, my WD external drive is basically my repository of all my files I do not want saved in my PC and I have no backup to those w/c includes hundreds of movies, HD movies, all my music, pictures and other files.

So my question is how can I recover the files? A good thing I guess is that the drive when previewed in “My Computer” still shows “36.6GB free of 931GB”, the actuall size of my drive when I can still access the files, so I would assume the file are still within the drive, I just don’t know how to access them. Can somebody please help me. I would be forever in your debt.

PC Specs:

AV: Norton 360 v5.0

Other SW: TuneUp Utilities, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Hoping for a response soon. Thank you.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en