Can't find MyCloud on network anymore

Hi,

I am trying to help one of my friend to make his MyCloud work angain since he changed his “box that grant him access to internet”(I don’t know the name of it in english, but if it can help, it’s a “modem” in french).

When he was using his old “modem” it worked fine, but since he changed it, nothing works. I tried to connect My cloud directly into my laptop and it works fine.

I contacted his internet provider and they told me that they saw something was connected, but that MyCloud would not create an IP address or something like that.

While connected to my laptop, I updated MyCloud, but it did not resolved anything.

The last option I saw was to reset it to factory settings, but the problem is that he has a lot of photos and videos on his MyCloud, so it is not really an option, because he don’t want to lose them.

Any idea how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Connect the Cloud to your laptop. Access the dashboard. Go to the Network Settings and ensure the Cloud is set to DHCP.

1 Like

Performing a 4 second reset or a 40 second reset does not erase user data/files. See the following WD Knowledgebase article that covers what each reset does and what My Cloud Dashboard settings are reset to default.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

I contacted his internet provider and they told me that they saw
something was connected, but that MyCloud would not create an IP address
or something like that.

The MyCloud doesn’t create the IP address (in DHCP mode); the DHCP server in the modem/router does.

If the MyCloud previously had a static IP address assigned, it can be made to use DHCP by doing a 4-second reset. This will not erase the data.

The MyCloud should then be assigned an IP address by the DHCP server in the modem/router. Find out the the new IP address by using the control panel of the modem/router. If your modem/router does not show the MyCloud as a connected device (allocated an IP address), then you need to find out why; it may be a faulty cable, or it may be a faulty port on the modem/router. Or it may be one of the types of modem/router that don’t work with the MyCloud.

Once you have found the new IP address, enter that into a web browser, to access the Dashboard.

Obvious diagnostics are:

• what are the LEDs on the Ethernet port doing?
  • what is the MyCloud front panel LED doing?
1 Like

Thanks everyone!

It helps a lot. I don’t have the MyCloud in front of me, but I will try all those solutions!

I will give you some more answers:

• The MyCloud is set to “DHCP” (we didn’t changed anything in those settings)
  • The light on the front is blue
  • The light on the Ethernet port are flashing “normally”, if I can say that. It “flash” like my desktop computer, which work.

I will try those two reset options and will look if it works :)!

Thanks again everyone for your help!

How can I “flag” it? Because, I didn’t “withdraw” the post…