Can't copy files to USB connected drive

tnynyn wrote:

Have you guys tried teracopy as rickuk referred to earlier in the thread?  if you can copy normally via FTP or any other method (i.e. ssh), don’t you think it would be a Windows issue since you are not using explorer?

Actually, it may be a SMB issue, not anything to do with Windows directly.

Tinwarble wrote:> Actually, it may be a SMB issue, not anything to do with Windows directly.

I can confirm that. :smiley:

Using ftp is a nice workaround, but i have never tested it on an external USB device.

When i take a look on the official side:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/

USB 3.0 expansion port for expandable storage - 1x  !!!

this job has to be done by WD …

Retest it again. With my Cineraid usb 3.0 2bay enclosure, if I format it to ext4 (only can do it with individual volume mode), I can write data to it but the speed is irregular, initially 30+ MB/sec, then drop to couple Ks/sec and drifting between 1-13MB/sec. If I format it to NTFS, I can’t write anything to it. I will give it a try for FTP method.
Come on, WD. Please fix the problem before more peolple return their unit. LOL!!

Chien

Hello.

Are you are just commenting without checking, and having LOL?

WD My Cloud is what it is (linux based NAS system) and you can copy files to it using Windows Explorer.

It is true.

I launched file manager (freeCommander.com) as administrator (Windows). You may use Windows Explorer or any other Windows application. I am sorry, I will not test all of them.

I opened network places and selected WD My Cloud.

I was asked about user and password - used My Cloud admin password.

It worked.

I copied some images and videos, then I could open them and watch.

Call it how you want, but it works for me (on Windows PC).

Hmm…

Of course firmware update would be the best solution (if will not brick our devices).

Do you think or are you sure that Windows permissions have nothing to do with this?

Why it works for me? If you will not “Run as administrator” copying is unsuccessful. In my opinion it is related to Windows permissions somehow.

Is your FTP transfer as fast as copy in Windows Explorer?

I checked it on My Book live and FTP was slower. I do not know how it is with My Cloud.

Exploring USB disk connected to WD My Cloud is easier (more comfortable) to me than FTP.

This solution (or “solution”) may be blamed but it allows users to use USB disks without problems (at least on Windows PCs).

marcint wrote:

Hmm…

Of course firmware update would be the best solution (if will not brick our devices).

Do you think or are you sure that Windows permissions have nothing to do with this?

Why it works for me? If you will not “Run as administrator” copying is unsuccessful. In my opinion it is related to Windows permissions somehow.

Is your FTP transfer as fast as copy in Windows Explorer?

I checked it on My Book live and FTP was slower. I do not know how it is with My Cloud.

Exploring USB disk connected to WD My Cloud is easier (more comfortable) to me than FTP.

This solution (or “solution”) may be blamed but it allows users to use USB disks without problems (at least on Windows PCs).

First, this doesn’t really have anything to do with copying files to the My Cloud itself, since copying from Windows Explorer works fine to the My Clouds drive.  This ONLY affects a USB drive attached to the My Cloud.

Second, with Windows Explorer it will copy the files to the USB attached drive on the My Cloud, however, it will only be a 0K file.

As I stated, this has nothing to do with permissions AT ALL.

The reason it works for you?  Well first, if you are having to use “Run as Administrator” in the first place then it has to do with the file permissions on you PC and nothing to do with the My Cloud because the My Cloud doesn’t care about Windows Permisions since it is running Linux and sets it’s own permissions.  Only Windows will care about the permissions you have set on you PC.

FTP is just as fast on the My Cloud as SMB, and if it is slower on the MBL for you then there is something wrong with your network, because I get the same speed on MBL using FTP.

Yes, using Windows Explorer is easier, however, as I said once you copy the files over using FTP then you can access your files in Explorer, you only need FTP to copy the files.

Again, your “solution” is NOT a solution for this issue as it is not a “you don’t have permission to do that” issue, but is an issue were the My Cloud attempts to write to the USB attached drive and fails.

Hello again.

I really do not want to continue this, but  as well I do not want other users to be confused and discouraged to use USB disk connected to My Cloud.

Now it is clear to me that you understand my posts only partially. I am sorry if my explanation is not clear enough.

This WORKS with a USB drive attached to the My Cloud.

For sure. 100%. Windows PC.

I proved it with different drives (WD and not WD), and with protected (locked) WD drive as well.

Files were copied (with success) to EXTERNAL USB drive ATTACHED to My Cloud. Than launched, renamed, deleted, etc.

I will try to perform more test in different hardware configurations, but until now it works.

I used freeCommander.com to manage files, but you may use any other file explorer.

The only condition is “Run as administrator”. If you are not able to write to USB disk - you did not use administrator account to run file explorer.

I tested it again just few seconds ago. Works.

Please, do not force people to use FTP only, and let them be aware that writing to external USB is possible and easy.

I am trying to help - just post (or send me) step by step screenshots. Maybe each of us does something in a little different way.

FTP vs SMB

This is not subject of this thread. SMB is more user friendly than FTP (my opinion). Security issues? I am not an expert.

FTP may be (or is) slower not only in my network - why? I have read many reviews and if something was described as slower, it always was FTP (in relation to MyBook Live or MyCloud).

E.g.(one of more detailed)

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chip.pl%2Ftesty%2Fpamieci-masowe%2Fdyski-nas%2Fwestern-digital-my-book-live-1tb%2Fspecification%3Fswitch_t%3Dt&act=url

I had similar results. Maybe there is something wrong with my network or with me, but I am not alone (and USB works for me).

The test results
Read Write - LAN interface (SMB)  
The time to copy 200 MB of data on a network drive from a local disk [s] 4.2
The time to copy 200 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive [s] 2.6
The time to copy 700 MB of data on a network drive from a local disk [s] 14.1
The time to copy 700 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive [s] 7.3
Transfer of copying 200 MB of data on a network drive from a local disk (files kilkumegabajtowe) [MB / s] 47.3
Transfer of copying 200 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive (files kilkumegabajtowe) [MB / s] 77.2
Transfer of copying 700 MB of data on a network drive from a local drive (one large file) [MB / s] 49.6
Transfer of copying 700 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive (one large file) [MB / s] 95.7
Read Write - LAN interface (FTP)  
The time to copy 200 MB of data on a network drive from a local disk [s] 8.2
The time to copy 200 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive [s] 5.5
The time to copy 700 MB of data on a network drive from a local disk [s] 28.6
The time to copy 700 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive [s] 13.6
Transfer of copying 200 MB of data on a network drive from a local disk [MB / s] 24.4
Transfer of copying 200 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive [MB / s] 36.3
Transfer of copying 700 MB of data on a network drive from a local disk [MB / s] 24.5
Transfer of copying 700 MB of data on a local disk from a network drive [MB / s] 51.6

A little offtopic but…do you have data for NFS transfers speed on this test machine to compare?

LOL (I am just trying to be sarcastic with WD).   Not sure how you explain with the same HD exclosure, why EXT4 format works (will partially), why NTFS not work (totally)? This is also the same for my USB flash drive.  When I format it as EXT4, I can write to it with just window explore without any problem but not with NTFS format.   I think this is nothing to do with the administration right.  I don’t think WD expect the end users to format all their flash drive/external HD to EXT4 format? It could be also compatibility issues with those different external harddisk exclosures. 

I guess, the USB port should “WORK” out of box most of time.  I don’t think it is a co-incidence with so many problems from different people.

I’ve talked to WD tech support and no help so far.

Chien

Can we have an answer from WD? This is getting really annoying.

This is a user to user forum, you’ll have to contact WD directly if you want answers, unless a staff replies since they randomly surf the boards.

It doesn’t appear as a fix in the release notes for the recently released firmware, but I belive this issue has been addressed in firmware v03.03.01-156.

EDIT: It appears that everything was working because during the firmware update process the USB attached share is set to Public. Resetting the share to Private causes some of the same issues outlined in this thread.

I am not sure if it is the solution. My external hard drive was formatted NTFS and I was not able to write to it when it is attached to mycloud.

I have to apt-get install ntfs-3g and remount the external drive using ntfs-3g then it works fine.

Sorry, marcint, but from reading all the other posts and then reading yours, I don’t believe what you’re saying. The solution you have provided works for no one but you so the only reason that would be is 1) you are lying or 2) you have your USB hard drive formatted to another file system besides NTFS. Perhaps FAT32. 

I believe FAT32 would work (though I have not tried it) but you would not be able to copy files larger than 2gb, I believe.

Either way, I think you are providing inaccurate info. Otherwise at least one other person would be able to do what you’re doing and frankly, from what I can gather about your tech skills from your posts, you really don’t know what you’re talking about. 

You should probably keep out of the conversation unless you have something useful to contribute because your claims are just getting in the way of people looking for a real solution. 

*******UPDATE 1-31-2014 12:20pm********

This is the weirdest thing but I called WD and opened a case this morning regarding this issue right after I posted the above comments. While on hold with WD I noticed that my MYCloud device had been rebooted over night so I checked the menu and saw that I received a firmware update this morning at about 3:14am. (1-31-2014) I tested the USB drive in the MyCloud and the issue has been resolved. 

I changed NO permissions and did nothing other than drag and drop a 2gb folder from my desktop to the USB attached drive on the MyCloud. It copied in about 10 seconds with no errors. 

Sorry, but I have to say ‘**bleep** it’ to marcint for all his BS with permissions when the issue was firmware the whole time, just as pretty much everyone else predicted. Seriously, dude, these forums are for helping people and after reading all your posts on the various threads requesting help, I’m convinced that your method was completely made up. A lot of people with more knowledge on the matter than you were trying to figure this out and your comments were just confusing the situation. Next time stay out of the topic unless you really know what you’re talking about.