Can't copy files to USB connected drive

I have an 8GB Kingston USB thumb drive plugged in to the USB port on the My Cloud 3TB.  I can read files from the drive no problem.  Whenever I try to copy anything to the USB drive Windows always says “The destination already has a file named [filename.xyz]” and gives the option to Replace, Skip or Compare.  This happens for any file large or small.  After I see this message, on the USB disk there is a file with the same name and it’s always 0kb.

I have tried a different device as well, a 500GB USB 3 hard disk and gives the same results.  Able to read files, but writing files gives the “already exists” message and creates 0kb files. 

The Kingston was formatted as Fat32, and the 500GB USB 3 drive is Mac OS formatted.  I have no special permissions configured on the My Cloud, everything is public.  Running the latest firmware WDMyCloud v03.01.04-139

Any ideas?

Are you using the Desktop App to try to copy files?

I’m just using Windows Explorer, trying to copy files at home on my local network.

I have a 3T my book connected and got the same problem. I copied a 3 gb movie and when it’s about 90% done it gave an error message that the drive cannot be accessed, Tried multiple times but same result. 

Give teracopy a try.

http://codesector.com/teracopy

Free for non commercial use.

Thanks!  Teracopy works…no more error copying now.

Just finished setting up my new 2TB My Cloud and just ran into a similar problem. I have a WD My Passport 1.5 TB  USB 3.0 formated NTFS connected to the USB port of the My Cloud 2TB running the most recent firmware. DLNA and iTunes servers OFF. I can copy and read files to the My Cloud drive with no problems. I have the My Cloud connected to a Gigabit swicth , so copying speeds to and from the 2TB My Cloud are pretty good. The problem comes when I try to copy files using Windows File Explorer and TeraCopy directly to the USB attached drive that appears as “MyPassport” folder (volume name) on the root directory of the My Cloud drive. When I attempt to copy a file  to any subfolder of  the MyPassport folder it result on filename.ext with 0 KB size . It also gives me errors when I try to create folders on it, but it creates them anyway. I have tried a couple other My Passport drives (500GB & 120GB USB 2.0) with the same result. I can copy files FROM the MyPassport folder without any problems. Regardless of file size. The issue only happens when I try to copy TO the USB connected drive. The only way can copy files to that drive over the network is to copy the file(s) to the MY Cloud 2TB drive then using the WD MyCloud desktop application to copy it to any of the subfolders under MyPassport folder. Btw, this desktop app is very clumsy and leaves a lot to be desired. No progress bar while copying… just a notification on the top bar that reads "In Progress… " This notification used to disapear even while copying in the previous version of the app. But today I got a new version ( 1.0.3.12) of the desktop application and the notification stays on while copying and changes to “Completed” when the copying finishes. Wow! I guess WD is not known for its software development. Any suggestions as to what might be causing my problem? Is this happening to anyone else?

EDIT: One more thing… I just find out that I can’t delete folders in the USB attached drive with large amount of data in them. Windows even gives you a progress bar while deleting, but at end of the process, several minutes in fact, all the data within the folder still there. I tried using the MyCloud desktop application, but all I get is a error message saying that it can’t delete the folder. I don’t think the firmware and apps for these cloud drives are ready for prime-time yet. I’m still keeping duplicate copies of my data in other drives until the MyCloud setup becomes more stable.

Hi,

i had a semilar issue with a 3TB WD-Mybook  attached to my MyCloud Device

Only 0-Byte files were created.

I solved it via formatting the USB Device  to Linux “ext4” Filesystem.

Now i could write on the USB Device as Public Share!

If you want to use the share with user management you must set the “group” of the mount-point to “share” via ssh!

That is good to hear.  However, it doesn’t make any sense to format the hd as ext4 as only linux system can read it.  The USB port should support NTFS or FAT32 at least.

Chien

That’s right, but it is a temporary fix to expand your storage, not usable for movable devices.

Btw. How do you format it to ext4 if one doesn’t have Linux OS installed?

1. Parted Magic - Live CD or
  2. MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

1 Like

Thanks, will give it a try.   Still not making sense to have USB 3.0 port, which does not support popular formats, though.  LOL.

Chien

Normaly it shoud work with an normal ntfs partition.

The system is based on an arm-debian linux so it could be handled via ssh.

I make some tests on my Debian system with an ntfs formated drive and look for a solution.

Okay, format one of my USB flash drive to EXT4 (even a 32gb stick takes a while to format, lol).  It works!!  Just hope WD could make the USB port more user friendly. 

Thanks a lot!!  You are more helpful then WD tech support.  LOL.

Chien

Thank you for the info, this was driving me crazy!

Hopefully WD will get this fixed!  Not convenient with my WD My Book 2TB drive, data already on it formatted NTFS, now I need to back it up, reformat to EXT4, and then restore… then I will be able to use it as expected with the WD My Cloud.

SOLUTION

Hello,

most problems (user problems with something) since Windows 7 are related to access rights.

Just run Windows Explorer, or commander (like FreeCommander.com or Total Commander) as Administrator and that’s it!

To do it e.g. hold on keyboard and then right click over commander icon - list will appear. Select “Run as administrator”, input password, use disk attached to WD My Cloud.

Enjoy!

So, WD solution seems to be OK. Users just do not think about their systems etc.

Mounting disks, writing and deleting files works even with password locked WD drives (encrypted - eg. WD My Passport).

Hi @all,

sorry marcint, this is NOT a solution.

You try kidding a linux based NAS system by running some copys with windows administration rights ?

LOL, good luck! 

@marcint,

Yeah, I think you are a little confused there, your solution is not a solution since windows permissions have nothing to do with this.

@everyone else,

There is another solution without having to reformat your drive.

First you need to enable FTP on the My Cloud, then install a FTP client (Filezilla is my prefered).

Open the FTP client, then navigate to the My Cloud / USB drive.

You should then be able to copy, delete, move, etc. you files on the USB drive via ftp.  Once you copy then you should be able to navigate to the USB drive on the My Cloud in Windows Explore and see those files.

This is not a fix, but maybe  a sufficent work around until a FW fix is released to deal with this.

Have you guys tried teracopy as rickuk referred to earlier in the thread?  if you can copy normally via FTP or any other method (i.e. ssh), don’t you think it would be a Windows issue since you are not using explorer?