Can't access Time machine back up

Hi,

I recently purchased My Book Live and upgraded its firmware (02.02.02-020).  I backed up my Mac Book Pro using Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6) and the backup was successful.  I could access the files without any problems.  I have since, upgraded to Lion (Mac OS 10.7).  After the upgrade, I can no longer access the backup files through Time Machine.  Finder displays two connections:  My Book Live and My Book Live – Backup.  I can access the former, but not the latter, which is where the TM backup resides. I cannot select My Book Live – Backup through TM either.   However, I can see the TM backup if I login as the administrator on to the drive and select Backups from the main menu.   Thinking that this was a Lion issue, I used someone else’s Mac with Snow Leopard to try to access My Book Live – Backup but couldn’t.  Can someone please help?  Thank you.

try power cycling the drive - unplug and plug back in.  when you tried accessing the drive, did you try it through afp?  if not then try that.  and if needed try that on another mac.  make sure you have the latest version of lion, also.  otherwise, you may have to do an internal reset.  however, you will lose all the data stored on the drive.  have you tried contact support?

Thank you for the quick response.  I am talking to tech.  They ask me to do run a full diagnostic as well as perform a reset from the back of the drive.  I have done everything they asked except the full diagnostic which takes ages, so I will do that overnight.  So far nothing has changed.  I used to be able to see the “My Book Live - Backup” in the Finder side-bar.  This is no longer visible.  I only see My Book Live (where the Public and Private folders reside).

I tried using Migration Assistant to recover the backup, but after I enter the username and password (it does ask for these), I get a message: “Some backups cannot be opened.  Make sure that all your network devices are connected and turned on.  It appears that some backups are already in use……”

Is there anyway of accessing the backed up data through some other software?  Neither the TM nor WD Smartware data seems accessible through Finder or Windows.  If I could copy this data on to another hard drive where I can at least access it, may be I can recover the data.

It seems that you can’t see anything in the MyBookLive-backup share on Lion.  However - if you use the Go command in the finder menu - select Connect to Server - and when it prompts you for the server - type in afp://MyBookLive.local and it will create a mapping to a share called MyBookLive-.  In this share you can see your backup sparse bundle and you can copy and manipulate it.  I have only ever used the MBL on Lion - so I cannot say how it behaved on Snow Leopard.  If you are on the latest MBL firmware - this should work fine.

I am having the same problem.  I cannot see the backup MyBookLive in the Finder sidebar nor can I see it in the drive list for Time Machine.

Anyone have a solution?

afaruque wrote:

Is there anyway of accessing the backed up data through some other software?  Neither the TM nor WD Smartware data seems accessible through Finder or Windows.  If I could copy this data on to another hard drive where I can at least access it, may be I can recover the data.

smartware shouldn’t be able to see that drive on a mac.  are you running your computer wirelessly?  if so, something may have caused your router to start filtering time machine out when you updated to lion.  try connecting the mbl directly to your computer by ethernet and see if tm picks up the backup.  the other option may be to wipe the drive and start over.  but that’s only if you have the data still on you computer.

[edit]

you might also check with your router manufacturer and see if something defaulted to another setting that’s causeing this.