Can't access share on W2K8R2 using domain account

Hi, I just bought a WD TV Live Plus.

I am trying to access a share on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, using a domain account.

I changed the WD network settings so that the workgroup matches the domain name.

I browse the network, and I see the server.

I try to access the server, and I am prompted for a username and password.

I enter credentials, and then get an access failure error.

I reviewed the server logs, and there is no indication that the account I specified is being used.

There is one entry for an anonymous account access.

I reboot the WD, try to login again, again specifying the domain account.

There is no indication in the server security log that the WD attempted to login.

I tried just “username”.

I tried “domain\username”.

And I tried “username@domain”.

None work, none show any attempt to connect in the security logs.

Other devices such as windows machines and a Boxee Box can access the server fine using the same account.

Any ideas?

P.

Your administrator running the server should be able to remedy it, or not, as the case may be.

The Net Admin must control permissions of all devices… I don’t think the WDTVs can have their permissions fiddled with in order to allow them to join an NT domain from the WDTV end.

I am the administrator, if I knwe how to remedy it, I would :wink:

I do not want the WD to join the domain, I want it to use the domain account to authenticate against the server.

P.

Hmmm.

Ok, so how do you log in via your BOXEE?   What format User ID do you use?

DOMAIN\USER 

or just 

USER?

I’m thinking the WDTV doesn’t support full Windows Domain, but I don’t know that for sure…

Prior to the Boxee 1.2 firmware update I logged in as username/domain.

Note the Boxy keyboard does not have a \

After 1.2 update, I login as username only

As long as the workgroup is set to domain, it works.

Neither methods work in WD.

P.

I have the exact setup.

If you domain is for example local.domain.com you should enter in the network settings just local.

Then as a user name use only the domain enable username without local\ or @local

After you connect you will see that you will have problem viewing your shares. It is just that you have to disable some Win2K8R2 services, that enabl to broadcast the shares continuously…

user9 wrote:

I have the exact setup.

If you domain is for example local.domain.com you should enter in the network settings just local.

Then as a user name use only the domain enable username without local\ or @local

After you connect you will see that you will have problem viewing your shares. It is just that you have to disable some Win2K8R2 services, that enabl to broadcast the shares continuously…

Can you elaborate on “It is just that you have to disable some Win2K8R2 services, that enabl to broadcast the shares continuously…”?

P.

I have to check exactly what I disabled and come back again. But as I process, Isurely remember doing that. :wink:

I’ve made some progress.

I was testing access using the settings folder edit menu.

It seems that for this to work the user account must have modify access, the account I was using only had read-only access.

I also discuvered that if the account password has a “@” in it, then it doesn’t work.

The results were very inconsistent, I would firts get no content, then retry and get access denied, then retry and no content again.

However when I browse in the normal menu, and I navigate to a file share, then the read-only account even with an “@” in the password works.

This is setting the workgroup to match the domain name, and using only the username for the username.

P.

The re you go…  http://www.webbosworld.co.uk/blog/?p=144