Can't access my EX2 via File Explorer in Windows 8

Hello.

I have a new EX2 Ultra w/ a single 4TB WD Red drive configured as JBOD. I can access the drive via the dashboard and all looks good from there. I can see the drive from mt win 8 pc under storage and media server, but it is not available as a network device and I can not map a drive to it. The process of mapping a drive is simple so that isn’t the issue. Something feels like its blocking it from being accessible in this manner? I went to network and sharing center and set all profiles to turn on network discovery and rebooted and it didn’t help. Help would be appreciated b/c as of now I can’t really move files to my new drive.

Thanks

Couple of questions:

1. Have you setup any users and shares on the new drive?
  2. Have you tried connecting to those shares via Explorer? Did you get prompted for password?
  3. Have you renamed the drive from the original configuration?

In my limited experience, you do not have to map a network drive for it to work. I always accessed it by \comptuername\share_name in which case it will ask for the password of the user/share. It then shows as a folder to which you can copy/read the files.

I hope this helps.

1. Yes I have both users and shares setup on the drive. I have the admin and one personal user setup and then the public and one new share created.
  2. Those shares do not show up in explorer at all. I’ve tried connecting to them several times. That is really the core of my issue. I had an older my cloud drive and this wasn’t an issue at all. I never got to the point where it would have prompted me for a password. I have seen that w/ my older drive.
  3. I did not change the drive name. It is currently “MyCloudEX2Ultra”

I tried to access the folders directly for read and write but I wasn’t sure what to use for the file name. I tried to use " \mycloudex2ultra\Public" based on your suggestion and it did help. This allows me drag and drop access which is great. I’m still curious why neither of my PC’s recognize the NAS, but hi at least gets me moving forward. I’m sill looking to figure out why the explorer doesn’t discover my NAS so suggestions are welcome but thanks Nemanja for helping.

Hi, I have WDMyCloudEX2 which is two years old. I am not a tech guy but wanted a safe backup for my files and i configured it following instructions and it was mapped as “Z” drive on my windows desktop. Last week my desktop needed repairs and hence now I am trying to connect the WD to my new windows 10 Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop. I have called up the WD support three times and they are not able to help. I disabled windows defender and uninstalled McAfee to ensure they are not blocking access. Below is what happens:

(a) In windows explorer, under Network, Storage - I see my WD - name is as mentioned in the first line of this post
(b) When I ping the name - it doesnt ping. However when I click on the name, it takes me a browser with 192.168.1.5 as IP address. Shows Admin as the username and PW is disabled. I click on Login…it is successful - I can see the dashboard, various users, file folders…etc
(c) While pinging the name itself is unsuccessful, when I ping the IP address, it pings successfully
(d) When i right click on network and map network drive, Z is chosen by default, then I click on browse - I can see network - however clicking on it doesnt do anything. Manually when I map \name or \ipaddress - it doesnt connect.
(e) in my network sharing center, under advanced setting - everything is enabled - public and private and all.
(f) When I connect the USB3 cable to my laptop - it doesnt recognize the WD as external drive

All I want is to see my WD as an alphabet on my windows explorer so that i can transfer files. What wrong am I doing please? the router is the same, the cables are the same and it worked very well with my desktop. All I did was replace the desktop with a laptop.

I called up the WD India support and they just repeat the standard instructions and it doesnt help. Any help will be greatly appreciated as all my home theater files - audio, video, pictures are on this WD drive and am unable to use my home theater system. Thx

resolved it myself…reset the drive…it doesnt delete any files. then i used ethernet to connect it as Z drive and it worked for connecting first time. After that the Z drive works well on wifi also.