Can't access MCM with USB drives connected

Maybe someone has a fix for this … whenever I attach USB drives to MYCOUDMIRROR v1, access to the dashboard or the unit itself fails. Sometimes I can disconnect the USB drives, power/on/off and then be able to access the MCM again; sometimes I have to repeat this process several times. If I do get to the dashboard again, and reattach the USB drives, and if they are then accessible, applying a firmware upgrade with the USB drives attached hoses the whole thing again.

What am I doing wrong?

I am on 2.11.157 f/w

Hi ,

I would recommend you reformat the unit and then retry to connect it to the back of the unit.

reformat which unit, the USB or the MyCloudMirror?

the USB

ok, thanks … having the same problem with both of the MyBooks

I reattached one of the MyBooks to the MCM last night. As of a few minutes
ago, I can see the MCM and the MyBook in Windows explorer. But bringing up
the dashboard gives an error:
This site can’t be reached

192.168.0.81 refused to connect.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

There is a bug on the firmware of our units.
Every time an usb drive is attached, the system starts to explore all the content and became unresponsive until it ends.
The only way to stop this behavior is to log in ssh and stop some services beforethe usb connection:

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd stop

Absolutely crazy for a consumer product!
I’m telling to all my friends to never buy a wd nas because absolutely buggy

ok, makes sense … I’ll try to find the instructions on how to login SSH.
I agree, not buying any more WD NAS drives, as the f/w is too buggy.

Thanks,
E

It depends which services and apps you have enabled. The scanning is routine, and I’m sure there would be more mass-market complaints if connected drives weren’t scanned than if they were, as most users probably wouldn’t know how to connect and trigger a scan if it needed to be done manually.

Personally I just have all services that I don’t use disabled, and I’ve never had any kind of issue like this (I have two 5TB WD Elements drives connected to my Gen1 MCM) and use them daily).

I have many services turned off too. not sure what’s up. I can see mym
files and the attached usb drive in windows explorer; but can’t access the
dashboard. And yes, I have right IP address.

Turn it around - what do you have turned on and installed?

Biggest killer I saw was the anti-virus add-on. Whenever that was installed and active, it basically utterly consumed all the processing power of the MCM (gen.1 in my case) and the thing was utterly inaccessible via the dashboard whilst the scan was running. It was a nice idea, but very quickly got uninstalled again.

The processors in these devices aren’t the fastest or most capable of brains - they’re usually up to the job of flinging files around but if you tax them too much then they get consumed with the task and stuff like the webserver (and so the dashoard) gets pushed to one side.