Can't access HD's contents from a router

I got a 8TB WD external hard drive and I connected it to my router with the USB port. The router seems to recognize the hard drive was connected to it, but I cannot read (or write) files in the hard drive. The router config page also claims there are 0 MB available on the hard drive, even though the hard drive supposedly has over 7TB free. I can access the hard drive normally from my desktop and I formatted it to NTFS, which should be recognized by the router according the the manual. I don’t have this problem if I connect a SSD device to the router, I can read and write on it just fine.

I’m using Windows 10 and before testing, I formatted the drive using Windows’s formatting tool with the default options.

Any idea why this is happening? It looks like a permission issue, but I have no idea what to do…

Does the router manual also mention what the largest capacity hard drive you can use ?

And also, does it state whether it supports MBR and/or GPT Partition Table ?

If it says that only MBR is supported … then the largest Hard drive you can use with it will be 2TB

Because large hard drives over 2TB will be using GPT (GUID Partition Table)

I have a TP-Link Archer 59 v2.0 and the manual doesn’t make any mention of any explicit mention of partition tables. I checked this link What should I do if TP-Link router cannot read files on my hard drive and it mentions that if the hard drive has multiple partitions, there’s a 5TB limit, but mine only has one partition

The link says “in theory” a number of times :wink:

My only other advice is to reach out to TP-Link support … because the hard drive is working as intended on your desktop, but not your 3rd party device router.