Cannot see files on MyCloud

I have some video files that I can no longer access via the dashboard or the WD MyCloud software. However, when using my home theater system to access the media server (MyCloud), I can see all the video files. The firmware and software are up to date, and I have tried a system only reset to fix the problem…no joy.

How can I get the files back to being visible in my software. (I am also using a macbook pro…no windows for me :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help in resolving this issue.

If connected to the same local network as the My Cloud have you tried using Mac Finder to access the My Cloud and view the files?

The My Cloud Dashboard is for configuring the My Cloud. It doesn’t have a mechanism to view the individual files on the My Cloud, you can only see a listing of top level Shares.

If a Share is configured to Private anyone who’s User account (setup within the My Cloud Dashboard) will need to have Read Only or Full Access in order to be able to access that Share and see its contents. However, the Private setting does not affect the media server (DLNA - Twonky media server) setting for the Share. As such if a Share is set to Private and Media Serving is set to On for the Share, all media content within that Share will still be accessible to any local network DLNA client, in your case your home theater system.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at all the settings and it looks like I should be able to see everything…especially since I am the admin. I know all the videos are there, because my dashboard shows 210Gb of data under videos. When I log onto the cloud with my phone, I can select videos, and see them listed there, but in the folder structure on both my phone and computer, I cannot see the videos at all.

What app or program on each device are you using to view the files where it doesn’t show the videos?

On my iPhone 6, I am using the My Cloud App and on my computer (Macbook Pro running OSX El Capitan 10.11.5) the My Cloud app. Even looking through through Finder, I cannot see the videos.

What format are the videos (MP4, AVI, MKV, MOV, etc.)? Do the video files have any special characters in the file name? Are there other files that you can see in the same directory as the video files that cannot be seen when using the Mac Finder or the My Cloud software/apps?

The files are different formats…mp4, avi, mov, etc. There are no special characters in the titles…pretty standard naming convention. There are two movies in the folder now, that I moved there earlier today when I found them in the wrong folder compliments of my wife :slight_smile: Anyway, about a month ago, they were visible when looking in the folders…right up until I pulled them into the home theater system to try to watch on my TV…

I just saw that there was a firmware update on 25 May…that was most likely when I lost the ability to see the video files.

Current Version
            WDMyCloud v04.04.03-113 : Core F/W

Last Update
            Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:19:21 AM

Its possible a 4 second reset (oops I see you tried a reset previously) or a 40 second system restore might fix any weirdness that might have occurred when the firmware was updated.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

Does this 40second reset mess with any of the data on the drive?

No, user data is not impacted. Per the reset link above: “Critical: The following process is Not Data Destructive and will not impact user data on the device.”

Further from that link, the 40 second reset performs the following:

Option B: 40 Second Reset (Reset with Power Off)
The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:
•Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
•Admin Password (No password by default)
•Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)
•Remove all Users except Admin
•All Share permissions (default = Public)
•Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
•Network Mode (default = DHCP)
•Remove all Alerts
mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
•Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
•WD Sync association (default = not configured)
•Backup jobs (default = not configured)
•Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)

I don’t know if I did something wrong, but I tried to do the 40 sec reset and nothing changed…Seems like I might just be out of luck.

Do you think if I did a backup of the data, and then reset the cloud to factory settings, and set it back up, would the settings remain as they are now once I restored from a back-up?

Accessing the dashboard and doing a system only restore should be the same as a 40 second system restore.