Cannot rename folder via Windows Explorer

Hello all,

using SSH I copied the folder “SichTmp02122022_Profiles” to the (until then empty) directory “schr” (both on the same Share of the My Cloud EX2 Ultra) according to:
cp --no-dereference --preserve=all -r SichTmp02122022_Profiles schr/

“SichTmp02122022_Profiles” holds itself directories and a lot of files. When trying to change the name of “SichTmp02122022_Profiles” in the directory “schr” with Windows Explorer (on a Windows 10 Notebook), I receive an error message saying that I needed rights from MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA\admin to be able to make changes. However, I can rename its subdirectory just like that and also the parent directory “schr”.

Here are the folder credentials from the Shell output:

root@MyCloudEX2Ultra Thunderbird_kS # ls -l
drwxrwxrwx    3 admin    share         4096 Jul  8 16:01 Orig02122022_Profiles
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Dec  2 21:33 schr
root@MyCloudEX2Ultra Thunderbird_kS # ls -l schr/
drwxrwxrwx    3 admin    share         4096 Dec  2 18:00 SichTmp02122022_Profiles

(“schr” was created via SSH, hence the different owner(s).)

I would dearly like to know the reason behind to get things clean and right. I have already given a glance to Samba, but couldn´t find an obious flaw (I am no pro by the way). Maybe someone here has an idea.

Greetings

Hi @ichbeans,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

For those who care: I found out the reason, with some help from superuser.com, so the question is answered.

When creating a file or directory under root account (as is the case when accessing with login name sshd over SSH), the directory permissions for other are r-x by default (see output list for directory “schr”). Accessing as user nobody (as is true when accessing over Windows Explorer from the notebook) I have no write permission in such directory. With write permission of a directory one can create, delete and rename objects (which does not hold for the content of a file e.g. in this directory however). For the purpose at hand it would be sufficient to grant write permission for other according to:

chmod 757 schr

Yet, for further use I would grant all rights and make owner=admin and group=share as obviously is the default with user nobody for creating/copying files etc., so for example:

chown admin:share schr

Thank you for the advice, the riddle is solved however.

I wish you a pleasant Christmas time.