Cannot re-install WD Smartware on Win 7 laptop

I noticed that WD Smartware was damaged on my Win 7 laptop and decided to completely re-install the Mybooklive software on that laptop (I have another Win 8.1 laptop working well together with my Mybooklive)

Installing WD Smartware however fails: "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Try aan alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "WD SmartWare setup (x86).msi "

The nstaller points to C:\ProgramData\Western Digital\WD SmartWare Upgrader\

I tried pointing to WD Smartware setup (x86).msi on MyBookLve\public\software\WD Smartware\WD Smartware Setup (x86).msi , but then I get the response that this is not a valid installation package for WD SmartWare. I also tried to first copy this file to my own harddisk, but same result.

When I click cancel, the installation seems to continue. Sometimes it finishes without a problem but WD Smrtware is not working, and sometimes the installer can not stop the services.

There seems to be a (partial) installation, and I tried to uninstall this first, but I get the same respons about not finding WD Smartware setup (x86).msi, so uninstallation fails also.

What could solve this problem ?

1 Like

Hi, try using Microsoft Fix it to uninstall the Smartware installation and then try again. Check the link below for more information. 

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en

1 Like