Cannot even see my Windows 7 workstation

So my WD can see my Win2k3 server just fine, no issues, works as intended.  But I also have a Windows 7 workstation on a domain and it doesn’t even list it on Network Shares portion of the menu.  I’ve tried just about everything I can think of and could find on the forums to no avail, but most of those apply only to home networks, not domain networks.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

I’m not sure, but I’m thinking these don’t work in a domain setup, only through Workgroups.    Using domains in a home environment is pretty rare, so that doesn’t come up here very often (if at all).

But, just to run through the normal diagnostics, make sure the WORKGROUP name in the WDTV matches the WORKGROUP name of all your eligible servers.  This is NOT the same as your DOMAIN name, usually.

Make sure that your Win7 box has actually joined a workgroup by issuing the command

nbtstat -a computername

at a command prompt.

You should see the group name WORKGROUP (or whatever you set it to) with at least two IDs:  <00> and <1E>.

Then, you need to find the device on the network that is acting as the master browser for that workgroup.

You do this by issuing the command

net view

and noting all the names that are returned.

Then, for EACH of those names, issue the command

nbtstat -a name

ONE of the servers must be acting as the Master, and it will be noted with the name …__MSBROWSE__. 

in the NetBios Machine Name Table. It must also list the same WORKGROUP Group name as the WDTV.

If NONE of them show up, then you’ve found your problem; there’s no master browser, or the browser is not correctly providing the list of workgroup servers to the WDTV.

Example:  Here’s what mine looks like:

C:\Users\Tony>nbtstat -a bignas1

Local Area Connection:

Node IpAddress: [10.0.0.8] Scope Id:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status

-------------------------------------------

BIGNAS1        <00>  UNIQUE      Registered

BIGNAS1        <03>  UNIQUE      Registered

BIGNAS1        <20>  UNIQUE      Registered

… MSBROWSE.<01>  GROUP       Registered

WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered

WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered

WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered

Note the name MSBROWSE indicates this server (BIGNAS1) is the Master, and the WROKGROUP name matches my WDTV.

Thanks a ton for the help, it is very much appreciated.  So here’s the output I’ve got, it seems like all the NetBIOS stuff is correct to me.  My Win7 machine is “Zartan” and my w2k3 server is “Barroness” and my WDTV is “Living”.  And my domain is “Mcmillan” and since I’m part of the domain, I’m not part of a workgroup.

C:\Users\fezzic>nbtstat -a zartan

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.2] Scope Id:

Name Type Status

ZARTAN <00> UNIQUE Registered
MCMILLAN <00> GROUP Registered
ZARTAN <20> UNIQUE Registered
 MCMILLAN <1E> GROUP Registered

C:\Users\fezzic>nbtstat -a living

Local Area Connection:

Name Type Status

LIVING <00> UNIQUE Registered
LIVING <03> UNIQUE Registered
LIVING <20> UNIQUE Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

C:\Users\fezzic>nbtstat -a barroness

Local Area Connection:

Name Type Status

BARRONESS <00> UNIQUE Registered
MCMILLAN <1C> GROUP Registered
BARRONESS <20> UNIQUE Registered
MCMILLAN <1B> UNIQUE Registered
BARRONESS <1F> UNIQUE Registered
MCMILLAN <1D> UNIQUE Registered
…__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-08-54-AA-A4-77

So does this mean my server might be serving itself as a  workgroup server, but is not providing my Win7 machine?  Thanks again for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Actually, that all looks pretty good.

So Zartan is not seen by the WDTV?   From a DIFFERENT machine, issue the command

NET VIEW ZARTAN

This is from Barroness, looks like it is seeing shares:

U:>NET VIEW ZARTAN
Shared resources at ZARTAN

Share name Type Used as Comment

Completed Disk
Users Disk
The command completed successfully.

That looks good, too, so there’s some issue negotiating between Zartan and the WDTV.

If you want to continue troubleshooting this, it’s going to take some work.

Please read THIS POST.

Perform those steps on ZARTAN,  and PM me so I can give you instructions on where to send the data.

Make sure you have network discovery and file sharing turn on

Make sure you change default “Workgroup” entry to “Domain Name”

when trying to access

I can say the WD Live will work in a domain environment. I have a win2k8 domain and it works a treat. I had to create a user name and password  for the WD device on the server, in the WD network options insert the username/password into the WD as setup on the server.

With Win7 you may need to do a refresh/reboot of the win7 computer maybe more that once to see the shared name of the WD to come up when it does show up you will need to log onto the WD using the username/password used in creating the WD logon ID of the server. But it can and does work in a domain.

Live streaming to the WD works too. Great stuff. BTW, using firmware 1.02.21