Cannot delete or add a share folder in MCH

I did at some point create local access to MCH. It now has 3 folders (maybe they are called shares) in the local drive. i.e.: Public, TimeMachine, and jvprice. I cannot access or delete the latter. I can access the first two. I went to the dashboard and could not find the place there that would allow me to delete or create additional shares. Just can’t remember where it was. Thought manage device would be the place but that does not work.

You have probably heard this before, but My Cloud Home (MCH) is not My Cloud (MC), it never was, never is and probably never will be. MCH runs OS4, it always has and no other My Cloud units ever run OS4, they never did.

OS4 is a severely cut down version of WD NAS OS with very little owner access to the internal settings so almost anything you assumed you know about OS3 has never applied to OS4, such as root access or SMB access to create root shared folders. The only thing you can do in OS4 is to turn on local access and naming it (‘jvprice’ in your case) and set a password. If you want to delete this share from Windows SMB access, the only way is to disable local access for this user.

If you cannot access jvprice, you should get an error. That is usually a Windows permission error which you have to troubleshoot separately and there are dozens of threads devoted to that subject.

Take a screenshot and note of the Windows access error when you try to access jvprice and file a support ticket with WD Tech.

Lucky Day! I was able to log in to the jvprice folder. Somehow the name and pass was stored in this → device-local-cb734192-8544-47ea-ad18-095ba6c82fc4.remotewd.com:8543

On the MCH it seems that on setup 3 folders are created: a Public folder, a TimeMachineBackup folder, and a user account folder. The latter is used to hold all the data, pictures, etc. that comes from the mobile phone. None of the folders created can be renamed. I can create subfolders in Public and TimeMachine, but I cannot create subfolders in the 3rd folder used for phone backup. I cannot create any more subfolders. Error message will tell me that creating folders in the server root is not allowed. However, I can create a new subfolder using the web access browser screen. (home.mycloud.com) . Once I do that, then I can create new subfolders using local access.

The user account folder has its own security protection. So once logged into the MCH, the user will still need to do another verification to get local access to this folder that contains all the data sent over from the mobile phone.

I was able to do a Cobian backup from my desktop to the MCH in the Public folder. The MCH allowed Cobian to create a folder there. The backup was 18gb and took 2min 58sec.