Cannot create Bootable USB for Recovery

Hello WD Community!

I have a DX4000 w/(4) 3TB drives Raid5 that was working fine until a month ago (been running great for a couple years, then it got unplugged without being shutdown. Upon re-booting, it didn’t have WD Services (dashboard, health, etc.), so I chalked it up that the OS on C: drive partition was bad and had planned on doing a recovery, but I wanted to make a backup of data on the drive so over the last month have been zipping folders to shrink storage capacity needed to offload.

In the last couple days the unit became unresponsive to Remote Desktop and inaccessible via Windows Explorer. So, I shut the unit down and am now getting the 0xD9 error.

It sounds as though the drive in Bay 1 has failed - so I figured I’d start my Recovery Process with USB and see if I could get the unit functional to get the remaining data backed up on the unit.

Have downloaded the _http://downloads.wdc.com/private/PANAM_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21_.iso_ file.
Once running the software and selecting the 3rd option - I’ve gotten a dialog box:

• The Bootable USB flash drive could not be created.
  • After you fix the issue, try again.

Clicking Close exits the software.

I have 16GB and 32GB USB 2.0 sticks and with both thumbdrives have gotten the same results.

Any suggestions on how to overcome - where to look for the error encountered?

Does anyone know the file structure for the USB stick, can I manually place the files on the USB from the ISO and then skip creating the Bootable USB drive?

That moment you’re trying to be good and create a backup of some archived data when the device fails…

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I would say disable an AV on your client PC. These usb drives do not show up as 2 different letters, one with drivers and one for stuff? Format them? Keep trying different thumb drives.

I don’t know though. Kinda hard to get data back after 0X9. You may want to look for some raid recovery software.

Thanks Gramps - disabled AV and Windows Firewall…no love. Going to drop into local Staples after dinner and pickup 2 new flash drives to try out. I’m also downloading the 1_7_5_17 iso to try… If that doesn’t do it, then yes, it looks like I am going to have to resort to hooking up all 4 drives via sata to my PC with Raid Recovery software… not looking forward to that.

Get into IT they said, it’ll be fun and easy they said… said no one ever. :slight_smile:

you need to check the checksum of you download. Panam is below.
I am fairly certain every recover of 0x9 requires a recreate storage which resets the raid data ending hopes of data recovery. That said if you have data you need you should try the recovery software. Most will let you see the data for free, pay to drag and drop

C:\Users\Budro\Downloads\PANAM_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21_.iso:
Verified: Unsigned
File date: 1:53 AM 1/14/2017
MD5: 32031F2454D3510D7CE2BF5891F7D25D
SHA1: EF0E132813182B2202A5FF54180C840BEE44F59E
SHA256: 6D511FC43FEFBC088E6A069397539B575AA6E81067D0A5BC81E1FEF12CDCD1B1

Thanks again Gramps - the 1_7_5_17 iso worked okay creating the bootable flash drive, and as you suspected the unit reported Bad Storage once in Recovery.

On to trying RaidReconstructor (only because it’s pay to play is cheaper than sysinternals)… If only the unit would have let me finish uploading everything to Glacier and S3…

Thanks for the update and keep us posted on your results please.

So I have the 4 drives hooked up to a PC and have both Raid Reconstructor (runtime.org) and Raid Recovery (diskinternals.com) installed.

RaidReconstructor appears not to be able to recover it and suggests I do their ‘Raid Probe’ - they take an analysis of the sectors on the disks, create a file you upload to them and send back the correct parameters for me to plug into the software to recover the raid. $299 + the $99 for the software (I’m assuming). Only charged for the RaidProbe if they can give me successful recovery parameters.

So I moved on…

Raid Recovery is reporting that I am correct, Disk 1 of the Raid failed and that the Raid is recoverable but some data may be lost. I can purchase the software to move forward for $299…

I have a support ticket open with DiskInternals on RaidRecovery inquiring about making sure I’m following the correct steps - and am contemplating on sending in the RaidProbe from Raid Reconstructor.

But here’s what crossed my mind - If I know the failed disk (D1), could I not format it/repair it with the PC and put the 3 good disks back into the DX4000 in their appropriate slots along with D1 back in it’s slot and let the raid rebuild? Or do you think its possible something got corrupted and caused the rest of the raid itself to be corrupted and won’t rebuild (since it’s obviously not booting/working on 3 drives like a Raid5 should).

Any thoughts?

Update -

I’ve now also downloaded runtime.org’s NAS Recovery software - it was able to identify the Raid5 and knew that Drive 1 was missing and give me the parameters of the Raid itself (sector info, block size, etc.) -

Upon attempt to recover, it was: Unable to mount, The file system may not be readable

So armed with this info went back to RaidReconstructor and plugged these values in and got it to suggest I save a virtual image of the Raid - but it doesn’t tell me it’s going to be anything usable… for $99, I’m tempted to buy the license and see…

yea, I dunno. But must be more wrong than just drive 1 or like you I think the RAID should work as advertised. I think buried in these forums is a statement of what 0x9 means, but I forget.

Well, good news - I found an application called ReclaiMe Free Raid Recovery Software… the application only spits out the Raid Parameters (which I already had) but for $79.99 they also offer a File Recovery sister application that takes that data and will mount the Raid and allow you to copy data from it…

Currently downloading what didn’t make it into Glacier/S3. Long night ahead - but an optimistic one! One I know all my data is safe, I’ll be trying to rebuild the DX4000 with the 3 good drives… anyone have suggestion on where to get a replacement 4th drive? (I haven’t looked to see if WD still offers them)

So you were able to get your data? Great news.

WD no longer has any replacement drives. In the Support/Download section they have a drive enabler download that allows you to use WD red drives. But you have to run the enabler on a working box.

I would recommend after you get your data, do a diskpart clean on the 3 good drives. Do a recreate storage, then recover erasing all. Then run the enabler and add a 4th drive if you need it.

But to be honest these boxes are old now and it may be time to look at a replacement.

Also best to use the latest firmware. Check the md5 and make sure you have a good download

Thanks Gramps for everything…

Yes, I am looking at new units, but as you (and I can see in lack of product offering) have mentioned - there aren’t many options for a replacement with some Windows Server built in…

Any good suggestions? My current role/usage requirements doesn’t really dictate that I have MS Server embedded, it was just nice as a carry over from a past project the device was used on. In 10 years, this is my second WD NAS and I had good luck with them both for their prime years… the first is still running actually (WD ShareSpace) just being written to as a network drive.

New use case is computer backup/archive location for a couple TB of old data that I’m holding onto for some insane reason. All will be backed up to S3 and Glacier going forward as well…

Also - could I not use this method here: Expanding DX4000 HDD List to add a Seagate 3TB drive to the unit during storage rebuild? Just trying to to think through my options…

Well I like my idea better ) But you are welcome to try that first. Only cost is time.

If you really just need a place to plop files the WD EX series or even the My Book. But then do not get one and say hey, I want to get pictures on my phone when I am away from home or I want accounting to get to some files and sales different files.

Thanks Gramps - any reason the WD EX over the WD PR series?

I’ll be sure to share my results good or bad on bringing the ol’ DX4000 back to life. It was a great machine for what it did…

EX is cheaper. Again, just a place to plop files for local access and you have a cloud backup. If you are looking for features that come short get a PR