Cannot copy files into my brand new My passport Essential SE from MacBook

Hello

I just bought a WD my passport Essential SE (1TB), USB 3.0+USB2.0 (100% compatible). I cannot copy any document into the HD. Every time I drag a file it gives me a STOP sign.

I have a MacBook OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6.7).

I tried to follow previous suggestions including try to re-format though disk utilities by erasing and using Mac Os Extended; when i press erase i get the following message after 2 seconds (volume erased failed, could not UNMOUNT disk).

Please help.

Thanks

Drive comes formatted for Win, Please format the drive for your Mac.  

You can follow the instructions   here

RobertGeorge wrote:

Hello

I just bought a WD my passport Essential SE (1TB), USB 3.0+USB2.0 (100% compatible). I cannot copy any document into the HD. Every time I drag a file it gives me a STOP sign.

I have a MacBook OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6.7).

I tried to follow previous suggestions including try to re-format though disk utilities by erasing and using Mac Os Extended; when i press erase i get the following message after 2 seconds (volume erased failed, could not UNMOUNT disk).

Please help.

Thanks

are you attempting to use the USB 3.0 cable that comes with the drive?  As far as I know, there are no USB 3.0 ports on a MacBook.  Since the drive is backward compatible, you could try just using a USB 2.0 cable with the drive, and see if it lets you format the drive then.