Cannot connect to TV

Hi I’ve been using my WD Live for a while then it lost the sound so I decided to change the HDMI cable, after doing this the TV can’t even find the WD just says no signal?

I’ve tried the cable & checked the input on the TV with an HDMI DVD player & all is fine & the TV finds it ok, plug the cable into the WD & nothing, now you’d think it has to be the WD but I still have the old WD (non live version) so tried that & still nothing - I’m stumped, anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Just managed to get it working with AV out but still nothing with HDMI - it was working! :frowning:

Welcome to the forums.

Let me understand this – your Live unit AND a WD TV regular unit were both working with an old HDMI cable and then you changed the cable and now neither works?  If so, it’s the cable (doesn’t matter if the cable works with something else – there are different specs on HDMI cables).

To test this, go to Best Buy and get a high quality HDMI 1.3 compliant cable (don’t worry – you can return it even if it works for you by just saying “it didn’t work” without paying anything).  If THAT cable doesn’t work then you have eliminated the cable issue.

Also, make sure you select a forced HDMI resolution – don’t leave it at “auto” but change it to whatever your HDTV supports.  One way or another this will tell us a lot.

Thanks Mike - I knew I wouldn’t explain it fully enough! :wink:

I have three HDMI cables, the sound stopped working for some reason so I thought I’ll use the one plugged into the DVD player to see if that worked but then I couldn’t connect. One thing I have tried though (since you’ve brought up the possibility of the cable notw working with the WD) is to now try the original cable again - will do that tomorrow.

The two cables it won’t work with are much better quality oxgen free gold plated jobbies where the original one it was working with was a cheap n nasty one! The gold ones work with the Samsung Blu Ray player & the Humax PVR but not the WD

Will try the cheap n nasty one with the WD again tomorrow & report back

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

And also try setting the HDMI resolution instead of letting it default to “auto” (in the Audio/Video menu of the Live).

Thanks Mike - brilliant, all working again!! :slight_smile:

Old duff cable works fine but the posh ones don’t!!

I’ll invest in some new cables just in case it happens again - at least I’ll know where to look next time! :wink:

Auto has been changed to 1080p@60hz, but my older eyesight probably wouldn’t notice the difference

Just got to sort out the jerky movement on some films now!!

Thanks for you help :slight_smile:

Junks wrote:

Thanks Mike - brilliant, all working again!! :slight_smile:

Old duff cable works fine but the posh ones don’t!!

I’ll invest in some new cables just in case it happens again - at least I’ll know where to look next time! :wink:

Auto has been changed to 1080p@60hz, but my older eyesight probably wouldn’t notice the difference

Thanks for you help :slight_smile:

So are you saying that the old duff one is no longer duff and you can hear the sound?

Junks wrote:

You’re welcome but can we help on the jerky films?  How are they encoded?  (Container, audio video codecs, and program used to make) as well as how you are playing them (local drive, net shares, wired or wireless or NAS?)

I’ll do some investigating then start a different thread so as not to confuse this one - thanks Mike