Cannot connect my cloud on remote access

WD has terminated OS3 My Cloud remote access using the OS3 My Cloud mobile app and MyCloud.com web portal. They have been sending out emails for months warning their customers that remote access was going to be terminated for OS3 devices. They pointed users to the following:

My Cloud OS3 End of Service
https://www.westerndigital.com/support/software/my-cloud-os/os3/os3-eos

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: After the services are shut down, you can only access the device on a local network. Access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app won’t work. Email notifications won’t be delivered. Devices that had auto-update enabled received a final firmware update that disabled remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Now, support has ended and you have to use your local network to access your device.

If you want to regain remote access you will have to setup your own method of remote access. While one can enable FTP within the My Cloud Dashboard, and enable port forwarding of the FTP port within their router to forward to the My Cloud, FTP is not a secure method of remote access. A better method of remote access is to setup a VPN Server on the local network. One can use their favorite internet search engine to find various DIY directions for setting up a VPN server on one’s local network to allow for remote access to devices (including the My Cloud) on that network. Some consumer routers may include a VPN Server (typically OpenVPN) that one can enable. See your router’s information to see if it includes a VPN Server option.

For local network access one can continue to use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder. Or with mobile devices one can use third party file manager apps for local network access.

If one has an OS3 My Cloud that can be updated to OS5, one should do so to regain remote access capability using the OS5 My Cloud mobile app or the OS5 MyCloud.com web portal.

My Cloud OS 5: Firmware Availability and Supported Devices
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29230

#WDUserRewards