Cannot change RAID settings

Hello, I am facing a problem changing the RAID 5 system to span or any other mode in my WD Sharespace 4TB the error message “Failed to modify volume!” keeps popping when I try. I am running “NAS Firmware ver.2.1.3 with MioNet 4.3.1.12” so what is the solution for that? 

I had the similar problem after update FW to 2.3.01
I could not resolve it by defaults reset but I have solved it by full reset.You have to make full backup before will do it!

So :

1. I removed all disks from my SS.

2. Then, I inserted disks 3&4 in slots 1&2.

3. After this, I have got full reset.

4. I inserted disks 1&2 in slots 3&4 and cleared it.

5. Then, I removed all disks and inserted disks 1&2 to slots 1&2 and have full reset again

6.  I inserted disks 3&4 to slots 3&4 and cleared it.

After this i can create any of RAID.

I am not sure that it is best way, but it worked for my case… 

Ok, I was already trying the defaults reset and it didnt work too, now before i go through your steps I wanted to make sure what do you mean exactly by “clear it”  after you placed disks 1&2 in slots 3&4 (step 4) and if I should remove disks 3&4 in slot 1&2 or keep them?

another thing, after I reach step 6, do you “creat” RAID from Manage Volume tab or Manage RAID tab?

thanks for your time.

Moataz wrote:

Ok, I was already trying the defaults reset and it didnt work too, now before i go through your steps I wanted to make sure what do you mean exactly by “clear it”  after you placed disks 1&2 in slots 3&4 (step 4) and if I should remove disks 3&4 in slot 1&2 or keep them?

another thing, after I reach step 6, do you “creat” RAID from Manage Volume tab or Manage RAID tab?

thanks for your time.

"clear it" – Advanced Mode → Storage → Disk Manager → Clear (Clean) Disk

I created new RAID by Manage RAID

Original configuration

===============

= HDD 4               = Slot 4

===============

===============

= HDD 3               = Slot 3

===============

===============

= HDD 2               = Slot 2

===============

===============

= HDD 1               = Slot 1

===============

Step2

===============

= Empty                = Slot 4

===============

===============

= Empty                = Slot 3

===============

===============

= HDD 4               = Slot 2

===============

===============

= HDD 3               = Slot 1

===============

Step 4

===============

= HDD 2               = Slot 4

===============

===============

= HDD 1               = Slot 3

===============

===============

= HDD 4               = Slot 2

===============

===============

= HDD 3               = Slot 1

===============

Step 5

===============

= Empry                = Slot 4

===============

===============

= Empty                = Slot 3

===============

===============

===============

===============

===============

Step 6 = Original

===============

= HDD 4               = Slot 4

===============

===============

= HDD 3               = Slot 3

===============

===============

===============

===============

===============

Thanks for your efforts man, I will try it after I solve the other problem that popped… ( i am trying now to connect to it and it taking forever showing “Starting System now” and the progress do not exceed the 10% in about 30 mins then showing the Error message  "503 Server temporarily overloaded") 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-ShareSpace/quot-Start-system-now-quot-taking-forever-then-quot-503-Server/td-p/261778

I really hate this product

when i changed the HDDs i think i made a mistake and now the system is not starting showing that “starting now” screen with a progress bar that sometimes increase and go to 10% and sometimes when you connect to it you find it 4% , i think it doesnt even indicate the real progress. i read in another forum that this screen can take upto 16 h to rebuild the RAID system but I dont know if i should do so with that crazy progress bar?  I do not have any data on it and I wanna RESTORE everything or install the image … any help???

Moataz wrote:

when i changed the HDDs i think i made a mistake and now the system is not starting showing that “starting now” screen with a progress bar that sometimes increase and go to 10% and sometimes when you connect to it you find it 4% , i think it doesnt even indicate the real progress. i read in another forum that this screen can take upto 16 h to rebuild the RAID system but I dont know if i should do so with that crazy progress bar?  I do not have any data on it and I wanna RESTORE everything or install the image … any help???

By default, SS has RAID5 for 4 disks configuration. For my case (4x2TB) I waited about 30 h for RAID rebuilding and Make filesystem…

I already waited 24h now, but the question is do you think that something wrong i made can damage the device? or it can fix itself and I should wait another 10 hours?  i cannot rely on that progress indicator coz it gives me 7% and 2% when i refresh. is it suppose to show the real progress (in your case)?

I did not monitoring of progress. I just did factory reset in the morning and had fresh installed my SS in the next day evening…

But, if you have not access to your SS after 48 hours, so, maybe, you have loop rebooting cycle.

In this case, you can try AKazak’s advice and erase all of 4 disks (see “New Release - Firmware Version 2.3.01 for the WD Sharespace (9/12/11)”):

After quick erase of 4 HDD’s mark each drive with number from 1 to 4 and insert to ShareSpace according to the numbers. Power on ShareSpace and wait 30-40 hours before factory restore is completed.

I have done that restet by Erasing the 4 (1GB) HDDs i have and I re-put them back and just put the power plug and the LEDs are turned on, the power button is blinking does that mean that the process of RAID management is still working or does it mean that I have to power on the device? actually i am afraid to press the power button now after suffering 48 hours of **bleep**… I wanna make it right this time.

IT WORKED :))))))))) THAANX ALOOOT