I just encountered the same problem and I’m looking for a solution. Here are the steps I’ve taken with my 2TB white MyBook world Edition (NAS/WDWE) and my LaCie 250GB external HD:
- Reformatted my USB hard drive to be in Journaled HSF+ Case-sensitive format
- Reconnected the external HD to the WDWE
- Verified that everything was working a-okay: I copied my backup back to the external disc using WD’s copy utility; I could mount the drive access the iTunes music on the drive, everything seemed fine
- Using the WD control panel (/admin/shutdown_reboot.php) I shutdown the WDWE and moved the equipment around (I had brought everything to my desk to do the reformat).
- Upon restart, I could no longer mount usb1-1share1
- Using the WD control panel, I unmounted the USB disk and then shutdown the WDWE.
- I then brought the external HD back to my computer and ran Disk Utility:Repair Disc which found and corrected numerous errors. I then unmounted the external HD and re-attached it to the WDWE.
- And I still cannot mount the drive.
The actual error message I get is: The operation cannot be completed because the original item for “usb1-1share1” cannot be found
I noticed another thread about the SetFile command and fixing aliases, but I don’t see how it applies in this case; there doesn’t seem to be a file or disk to “set”.
My guess is that if I reformat my external drive again and copy the files back, that the system will work until I have to shutdown the WDWE/unmount the USB drive again. I’m also guessing that the format of the USB drive may not be fully supported; I’m considering reverting to the standard Journaled HSF+ system.
Advice and support appreciated. Thanks!