Cannot Access usb1-1share1 contents

Hi Guys,

I have a really big issue with the usb drive attached to the WDWE.

• I have attached a WD usb 500G drive to my 2T WDWE.

• The USB Drive is Mac formatted

• I am using the WD Anywhere back up between my computer and the USB Drive attached to the WDWE

It was all going well until yesterday where I can see the usb drive connected through both the intranet wd system and when I open the network drive. However, when I click “usb1-1share1” i cannot access my data and also the wd anywhere says that the drive is disconnected.

The exact message when I try opening the “usb1-1share1” is: 

“The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “usb1-1share1” can’t be found.”

any help, really appreciated!

I’m having the same issue here. Did you find an answer?

I just encountered the same problem and I’m looking for a solution. Here are the steps I’ve taken with my 2TB white MyBook world Edition (NAS/WDWE) and my LaCie 250GB external HD:

• Reformatted my USB hard drive to be in Journaled HSF+ Case-sensitive format
  • Reconnected the external HD to the WDWE
  • Verified that everything was working a-okay: I copied my backup back to the external disc using WD’s copy utility; I could mount the drive access the iTunes music on the drive, everything seemed fine
  • Using the WD control panel (/admin/shutdown_reboot.php) I shutdown the WDWE and moved the equipment around (I had brought everything to my desk to do the reformat).
  • Upon restart, I could no longer mount usb1-1share1
  • Using the WD control panel, I unmounted the USB disk and then shutdown the WDWE. 
  • I then brought the external HD back to my computer and ran Disk Utility:Repair Disc which found and corrected numerous errors. I then unmounted the external HD and re-attached it to the WDWE. 
  • And I still cannot mount the drive. 

The actual error message I get is: The operation cannot be completed because the original item for “usb1-1share1” cannot be found

I noticed another thread about the SetFile command and fixing aliases, but I don’t see how it applies in this case; there doesn’t seem to be a file or disk to “set”. 

My guess is that if I reformat my external drive again and copy the files back, that the system will work until I have to shutdown the WDWE/unmount the USB drive again. I’m also guessing that the format of the USB drive may not be fully supported; I’m considering reverting to the standard Journaled HSF+ system.

Advice and support appreciated. Thanks!

I cleared my WDWE system log and then attempted to access usb1-1share1 by double-clicking on it. I got the same error as described above, and the following appeared in the error log (Jupiter is the name of my WDWE):

03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: Fatal error: cannot open CNID or invalid CNID backend for /shares/usb1-1share1: cdb
 03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: Cannot open CNID db at [/shares/usb1-1share1].
 03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: cnid_open: Failed to setup CNID DB environment
 03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: cnid_open: Failed to open dev/ino database: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
 03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.info afpd[6141]: Setting uid/gid to 0/1000
 03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.info afpd[4775]: server_child[1] 7190 done
 03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.info afpd[7190]: ASIP session:548(4) from 192.168.1.3:50932(7)
 03/15 09:17:57  Jupiter daemon.info afpd[4775]: server_child[1] 7189 exited 1
 03/15 09:17:56  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: Fatal error: cannot open CNID or invalid CNID backend for /shares/usb1-1share1: cdb
 03/15 09:17:56  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: Cannot open CNID db at [/shares/usb1-1share1].
 03/15 09:17:56  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: cnid_open: Failed to setup CNID DB environment
 03/15 09:17:56  Jupiter daemon.err afpd[6141]: cnid_open: Failed to open dev/ino database: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
 03/15 09:17:56  Jupiter daemon.info afpd[6141]: Setting uid/gid to 0/1000

This should give us some more information to work with. I’ll try searching for these errors on the forum/FAQ now and let you know what I find.

Okay, I couldn’t let it rest :slight_smile:

The problem is the .AppleDB file in the WDWE share folder. It is corrupted or perhaps remembers who it was in an older life and the solution is to delete the file. I don’t know if there is a way to do if via a GUI, but here is how I did it on the command line using Terminal:

ssh root@your_wdwe.local

cd /shares/usb1-1share1

mv .AppleDB broken_AppleDB 

Then I unmounted the WDWE in the finder, re-clicked on my Public folder and then double-clicked on the usb1-1share1 folder and ta-da!

2 Likes

I can’t see how to delete a post … and in the above post I said to go to /shares to delete the .AppleDB file and you really want to go to /shares/usb1-1share1 to delete the file. Here are the corrected steps:

ssh root@your_wdwe.local

cd /shares/usb1-1share1

mv .AppleDB broken_AppleDB

3 Likes

i’m stuck.

I’ve run your script in terminal but gert an connection denied. I can plug the WD usb drive directly into my mac and see everything. i can go to the kids pc and access the usb1-1share1 through the network with full access, but I still can’t get to the hd from my mac.

I want to set the usb drive up to back up the network drive.

floundering: if you can’t see your USB drive from your finder, then you’re having a different problem and may want to call WD support directly (though this was 4 weeks ago; I hope you’ve gotten it connected by now). 

When I first bought my MBWE it didn’t recognize HSF+ formatted drives. After I formatted it using the MBWE’s control panel, it showed up just fine. I’ve since upgraded the MBWE firmware and reformatted my USB drive to be HSF+. Since then, it works fine, but I have to come back here about once a month to remind myself what to do when the server can’t read it. :slight_smile: Annoying, but less annoying than having iTunes unable to see/read my music.

You, Sir, are an awesome genius and I have registered to this forum specifically to tell you so.

Solved my problem beautifully.

:slight_smile:

This looks like it should fix my problem, but I’m a real novice with Terminal.

I have opened terminal and tried to input the first line:

ssh root@MyBookWorld.local

but get the response:

ssh: connect to host MyBookWorld.local port 22: Connection refused

I imagine I might have got this first line wrong - please could someone help?

I’d like to second the opinion that you are an ‘awesome genius.’ I got it working.

Is this a bug that WD/Apple will eventually fix or will I have to do the above on a regular basis?

Is this a problem specifically with using a USB drive attached to the MyBookWorld for the iTunes directory?

I’m fed up with this problem now, so I’m going to try using the MBW’s main drive for my iTunes library, with it backing up to my USB drive.

I also just registered with this forum to thank syoumans for posting the ssh directions and also provide a quick tip. If you get “connection refused” then make sure that SSH Access is enabled on the device by using the web admin interface to enable it on the System tab.

Purbs wrote:

I’d like to second the opinion that you are an ‘awesome genius.’ I got it working.

Is this a bug that WD/Apple will eventually fix or will I have to do the above on a regular basis?

Surely they will take note of this BUG and rectify in future firmware releases - any way to escalate this to WD Support??

Just a pain to do this everytime I need to access the USB drive. I guess other option is to not use HFS+

MANY thanks for the solution though!!