Cannot access my files on WD External

I purchased an external WD drive several years ago for photo backup. I dumped a lot of files on this device and I needed to access the images in 2 of the 3  folders, which have little red icons with minus signs on them.

I cannot access these folders now and it gives me this message when I click on them. “The folder “Photography Backup” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.”

I never created a password or did anything to this drive, just plugged it in and uploaded folders of images onto it.

One of these 3 folders I can access though.

I access the folders via the Mac finder window which shows two folders under the SHARED heading. One is named “MyBackWorld”  the other is “MyBackWorld - Backup” .

When I click on the first “MyBackWorld” folder, it opens and shows the 3 folders - one I can access and the other 2, I cannot access. There is a sentence under the folder icon which says I am connected as: Guest

There are 2 folders under the Connect As Button.

One is called Download and when I click on it, the 3 folders I discussed earlier are in here.

The second folder called "MyBackWorld - Backup " has a sentence under the folder icon which says: Connection failed and the “Connect As” button under that message does nothing when clicked on.

There are no folder icons apearing in this window either.

Does anybody have an idea why I do not have access to these 2 folders and how I could get permission to do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Please confirm the model number for the drive that you have.

There’s an article under Apple support that discuss how to regain access to files with permission issues.

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2963