Cannot access files

I am having trouble accessing anything from my passport drive. I have been able to play games from it for months now without incident, but now either the hard drive shows up empty or the computer does not respond when I try to open it.

Trying to set up the drive with the WD SmartWare has been likewise useless.

The drive usually showed up as ‘My Passport (J: )’ in My Computer, but now only reads ‘Local Disk (J: )’. Chkdsk utilities simply froze the last time I tried to use it, and the properties list 0 out of 0 bytes being used last time I checked. I have tried to check again, but now if I so much as right-click the drive My Computer slows down and does not respond.

Help would be much appreciated!

Your drive has corrupted file system. That’s why PC is not responding the way it should.

If the drive suffered no physical damage, you could recover your drive using HDD Regenerator 2011 (Google for it).

And read info on relevant website. It takes 10 hours to scan 1TB.

USE BOOT DISK OPTION – Windows option will not work!

Best of all, if your drive is still under warranty, try to get a replacement.

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

1 Like

Do I need to have the external hard drive plugged in while I’m making the boot disk? The computer doesn’t even recognize it now - the usb chord is secure and the passport lights up, but My Computer shows no sign of it being connected.

You have to look inside disk drives on Windows device manager to verify your drive is properly connected. Try reading previous posts/discussions regarding similar issues.

Also read sticky.

No, you don’t need to connect your external drive while making a boot disk/CD. But prior to boot up with Boot disk/CD you need to connect your subjected USB Drive.

Note: HDD Regenerator 2011 will be running from a boot disk and it shouldn’t be the one you’re planning test. (In case your get confused.)

…. Ah, make a habit of reading info on websites.

Mabikay - SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.