Can you read the files on a WD Elements Desktop via SATA?

Hello!

I want to buy an external HDD for backup.

Is it possible to read the files on the HDD of an WD Elements Desktop (6 or 8 TB) via SATA? (Just for the case that the USB-controller fails…)

Some ratings on the german Amazon say that the files can’t be read after disassembling the case an connecting the drive to the PC via Sata. The explanation is, that the USB-Controller uses 4K-emulation.

The ratings are from 2019. Does the controller use 4K-emulation still in 2021?

Thanks!

I think you mean 512 Byte Emulation …

The introduction of 4K-sized sectors had depended heavily on 512-byte sector emulation. This term refers to the process of translating from the 4K physical sectors used in Advanced Format to the legacy 512-byte sectors expected by host computing systems

It was a transitional method that began in 2010 as the industry was moving to 4K sectors

All WD Elements that i’ve purchased in the last few years have no Emulation and are factory partitioned GPT (GUID Partition Table)

The only WD Elements i have that does have 512 Byte Emulation is a 4TB WD Elements purchased in 2015 … factory formatted MBR (Master Boot Record)

1 Like

Thx @JoeySmyth

Could you read the files on your WD Elements after connection them via SATA to the PC?

I don’t want to remove the HDDs from the external housing. But I want to have possibility to do so if the USB-Controller will break down.

Greets from Germany.