Can someone from WD please repy

Can someone from WD please reply.
Something is clearly wrong with the My Cloud firmware. Trying to use SafePoints to an attached (to the USB port on my My Cloud) memory stick gives error code 36323 and to a HDD error code 36123. Even copying the backed up folder using Windows Explorer copy and paste results in over 900 files not being copied because they are too long.

I am not a Unix man and have no inclination or the skill set to log into my My Cloud and start looking at scripts or editing files. The My Cloud device is sold as a ready to use bit of technology that doesn’t require Unix skills to use.

A firmware update is clearly needed. So, WD, is one planned and when might we see it.

Thanks.

I suggest you contact Western Digital using this link or the one at the bottom right of this page, Contact WD.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Royalman wrote:

Can someone from WD please reply.
 Even copying the backed up folder using Windows Explorer copy and paste results in over 900 files not being copied because they are too long.

Can you explain more about what you mean about “Too Long”?

Of course. I successfully completed a backup. I then inserted a 128GB memory stick formatted to NTFS into the USB port. I then tried to copy and paste the directory of the backup to the USB stick. It then informed that something like 900 files were not copied because the file names were too long. So it appears that files with long names sit happily on my PC and can be backed up but can’t then be copied using windows explorer copy and paste.

Reading on this forum it appears the firmware that does this also has problems with certain characters as well. But I don’t have the Unix skills to log into the My Cloud to dig around error logs as well. Especially as WD don’t provide any information in the documentation as to what all the error codes actually mean.

Royalman wrote:

…It then informed that something like 900 files were not copied because the file names were too long. So it appears that files with long names sit happily on my PC and can be backed up but can’t then be copied using windows explorer copy and paste.

That’s not a firmware limitation – that’s a Microsoft limitation.

Entire Path Length can’t exceed something like 260 characters or so.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx