Can MyCloud EX2 replace WinSBSserver - fileserver & incremental USB backup of open files?

Can MyCloud EX2 replace a Win SBS 2008 server which functions as fileserver and Win SBS backup to external USB drives (rotated approx weekly offsite)?

My existing SBS fileserver is running small business critical accounting software with database files that are typically (but not always) left running 24x7. Through the SBS Server Console there is a daily incremental backup runing to USB external hard drive, Which is roated with a 2nd external hard drive every week or so. We can restore any file in the accounting software back to any point in time. I think Windows doesn’t have any problem with the open or locked files because it uses shadow copies, or something along those lines. I’m just not sure if MyCloud EX2 or other WD product can do the same level of backup or sync as good as Windows SBS backup software?

Hello cjf74,

My Cloud ex2 can be used to backup (Manual and Automatic) on a USB external hard drive. However you would need to setup the backup job from the dashboard of the My cloud device. Win SBS backup software cannot be used to setup the USB backup.

You can know more about NAS to USB and USB to NAS backup from the below link:

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=16540