Can it be accesed through USB? And many other questions, SOS!

Hello guys! My name is Sergio, nice to meet you all. :smiley:

Me and my girlfriend recently purchased a unit of “My Cloud Home 6 TB” for all our virtual things, but I thought It was going to be much more simple, and a lot of questions are coming to my mind while I am initially installing them and facing these questions for first time:

1 - Can I plug an USB cable from my laptop PC to this Cloud Drive from WD and add stuff to it, and basically control it like any USB unit that I plug into my PC? Because it is madness the speed of the upload takes centuries, I haven’t managed to put a single film yet inside.

2 - How do you guys use it to upload content to it without having a super fast internet? I need to fill it with media content and its an impossible task right now, first day with this thing, so It would be great for me to know more people.

3 - Where can I see somekind of “how to use” guide that explains me the most common basic tasks??

4 - Can any expert user allow me to chat with him through email and learn how to use right my cloud unit?

Basically, I need help in many aspects, doubts and ways to use it. :slightly_frowning_face:

SOS, please!

@corazondedelfin You need to visit the Learning Center.

http://learn.mycloud.com/

It would be nice if you can reply to me to something else apart from just point 3, because its just one of the doubts and the less important one right now.

Thank you! And please try to write me more next time.

If you visit the Learning Center and read the User Manual, watch the videos and look at all the information already provided by WD all your questions should be answered. The Knowledge base is also a good place to check for information.

This device requres some reading and reference to the user manual. Download it to your PC and place it on your Desktop for easy reference for now. Yes, files can be added to the drive via USB. Uploading videos, etc. via wi-fi is not recommended.

1 Like

Via USB you mean via pendrives and hard drives? Or you mean connecting it directly to a PC and managing it? Because I would like to do the second one from these 2 options and I cant find a working USB cable to link PC-WDCloud:(

Yes, or through the home network connection. No more questions please until you have done your homework assignments to read and explore the recommendations.

I’ve already watched all the videos. You just said yes to what? You did not answer the question. Did you mean by option 1 or option 2. Read again what you said Mike and answer me.

Edit: Nobody answered yet the first question, this is ridiculous xD

@corazondedelfin Read the User Manual!

Backup – USB Device The contents of a USB storage device can be backed-up to a My Cloud Home device. This backup feature is only available through the My Cloud Home mobile app. USB Connectivity Note: Although My Cloud Home Duo has two USB ports, only one USB attached device will be accessible for data transfer.

My Cloud Home Mobile App

After connecting a USB storage device, the My Cloud Home mobile app will display a message that the device is connected. The My Cloud Home desktop app and the MyCloud.com web app will not prompt for this action. To perform this mobile app process, follow these steps: 1. Tap the Activity icon on the bottom menu bar. 2. Tap the USB Device Found function. 3. When prompted with the Copy USB Files dialog box, Tap the COPY ALL FILES button. a. To end this process now, Tap the large X in the upper left corner of the Copy USB Files dialog box. 4. After agreeing to the USB copy process, the Copying from… dialog box will open. a. This dialog box will show the progress of the copy process. To close the dialog box, Tap the OK button. The copy process will continue in the background. b. To re-open the copy process dialog box, Tap on the Home icon on the bottom menu bar. c. On the Home screen, Tap the option USB device plugged in. This will open the Copying from… dialog box to show the current USB copy progress. 5. When the copy process is done, the contents will be in a new folder with the date the contents were copied. 6. The contents of the USB copy can be viewed through the Files or Photos menu options on the bottom menu bar.

I already know what you just wrote, I’m doing it myself at this moment literally with the unit. That does NOT answer any of the important questions, like the one that is around my head: CAN YOU CONNECT IT VIA USB CABLE TO YOUR PC AND MANAGE IT? YES OR NOT?

Yes, WD answers this in the User Manual Documentation.

“Yes, WD answers this in the User Manual Documentation.”

No:
1 - Can I plug an USB cable from my laptop PC to this Cloud Drive from WD and add stuff to it, and basically control it like any USB unit that I plug into my PC? Because it is madness the speed of the upload takes centuries, I haven’t managed to put a single film yet inside.

At this point, you have gotten answers to your questions, “Yes” meant it can receive data from any USB device mentioned. I think if you don’t have success soon you need to call WD Support folks. We are users, not WD staff.

I used an USB cable to connect my PC to the WD Home Cloud and it has not connected. I didnt see any pop up from USB new unit or anything similar.

What It can be done and I already did it is what cat0w wrote: putting USB units in the usb of the Home Cloud, but that is not “MANAGING THE HOME CLOUD WITH AN USB CABLE FROM YOUR PC”.

Go back and read this in my earlier post in first paragraph, Backup-USB Device.

I do not think you are understanding cat0w, maybe you should let others talk.

Look at this from the Knowledge Base which I told you, you can use to do searches for information. I am going to quit posting because I don’t think you understand how it works.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18256#subject2

Ok, thank you, now let others that understand my questions come and answer them. I appreciate that you try to help, good luck

ANSWERS:

1. No, this cannot be done.
  2. Use WD Discovery 2.1 to mount the private space drive to windows or macOS and upload the content locally
  3. Online User Guide and Solutions for WD My Cloud Home
  4. http://agent.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
1 Like

Thank you very much SBrown!!

Respect :smiley: