Can i use WD SA500 2.5” SATA in a thunderbolt DAS?

Hi guys,
I am looking for some external storage for my Mac Studio and i’m thinking about going for a thundebolt 3 enclosure populated by some sata ssd (for quiet op, capacity, speed)

I am going to buy the OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini (TB3) and i want to use some WD SA500 to go with it (2 TB & 4 Tb models)

Is there any issue using the SA500 with a direct attached storage instead of NAS ?

The DAS will work in an on-and-off scenario, going to sleep when my Mac sleeps

Any difference between the SA500 and a “regular” SSD like the Samsung Evo 870, when used in a DAS ?

Thank you !

Hi @mistd,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

The WD SA500 is a 2.5" SATA SSD, and when considering its compatibility with a Thunderbolt Direct Attached Storage (DAS) enclosure, a few factors need attention. Thunderbolt DAS enclosures generally support a variety of storage drives, including SATA SSDs like the WD SA500. However, it’s essential to ensure that the Thunderbolt DAS enclosure’s specifications confirm its compatibility with SATA drives. Additionally, verify that the SATA SSD’s performance aligns with Thunderbolt’s high-speed data transfer capabilities, even though SATA SSDs might not fully leverage Thunderbolt’s full potential. As the WD SA500 employs the 2.5" form factor, make certain that the DAS enclosure accommodates this size. Confirm power requirements, mounting mechanisms, and supported file systems between the SSD and the DAS enclosure .