Can I use the WD MyCloud drive as an external drive only?

I have the WD MyCloud drive, but I do not need all of the cloud software or remote access. Can I reformat the drive to be used as a regular WD external drive?

1 Like

You cannot use it as a dumb external USB disk.

But I also don’t use the “cloud part” for external access. With GBit ethernet connected, you get proper speeds and it is more flexible than a simple USB disk.

No you cannot reformat and use the My Cloud as a plain dumb external USB hard drive. The USB port on the My Cloud is host mode only, meaning you can only attach external USB drives too it.

If you don’t want to use the WD software, then don’t. You can access the My Cloud using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder. You can turn off Remote Access from the My Cloud Dashboard.

If you haven’t done so already you should read the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) to gain an understanding of how to turn off the various options and features.

If you don’t want to connect the My Cloud to your local network router (switch or hub) you can connect it direct to your computer using the Ethernet cable/port. however by doing so no other network devices will be able to access or stream from the My Cloud.

You should be abled to, if you take it apart and get the drive out and use a usb to sata adapter, I would go for a sabrent 3.5 inch usb to sata adapter, it is your choice, the usb port on the my-cloud home is not made to make the internal drive external.

1 Like

Thanks!
I will get a screwdriver and do just that.
I am tired of having to ask permission (and half of the time NOT getting it) just to access my own files in my own disk.

1 Like