Can I put any brand hard drive into a G array dock?

I have a G RAID with thunderbolt with 4 TB disks. I want to upgrade to 8TB or more, the G tech spare drives are expensive, can I use any brand of internal hard disk and mount them into the GRAID dock? I’d imagine that shouldn’t be a problem.

Technically it should work, however it isn’t supported and we don’t test other drives that aren’t ours. You’ll also need to do them in pairs of course.

Thank you Rydia.

After consideration, we are going to replace our GRAID with a second higher capacity one instead of taking a chance on third party drives for this project.

On another note, can it be configured in RAID1 to be read by both Mac and Windows in Disk Utility?

If you are using a software RAID device then when you create a RAID it is only going to work on that OS. But if you have a hardware RAID device like our newer G-RAIDs that have both Thunderbolt and USB on them. Then they are not created within Disk Utility, and will work on both as long as you format the drive as exFAT.

It will be the GRAID with thunderbolt model. If I use the configurator to set it to RAID 1 and use disk Utility to format it to exFAT it should be readable by OSX and windows right?

No, as I stated before that means it is a software RAID. Software RAIDs regardless of the format are limited to working on that OS that created it only.

If you want to have a RAID device formatted for exFAT and work on both Mac and Windows then you need a hardware RAID device such as our newer G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt 2 or 3 drives. They include a USB 3.0 port on them as well.

Specifically speaking this model
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1257959-REG/g_technology_0g05012_g_raid_20tb_2_bay_thunderbolt.html

Is it possible to set it to RAID 1 and be readable by both Mac and Windows.
It says it has a hardware raid controller

That one is hardware RAID, which will work on both platforms, the RAID isn’t set in Disk Utility. The RAID is set with our configurator that you download from our site, you then format it in Disk Utility and it will work on both platforms.

OK great. That is what I was trying to say all along, using the
configurator to set the raid and then disk uitlity to format. Thank you for
confirming.