Can I put a Pi Zero W in my WD PiDrive Node Zero?

Hi

I have my Pi Zero W and a Node Zero - and I tried to remove the Pi Zero from the node…

I removed 4 screws and tried to ease the Zero off its 2 micro USB connectors but no luck.

Is it possible to make the switch?

David

Hi, yes, the Pi Zero can be removed from the Node Zero’s USB adapter board. The two microB connector sets between the Pi Zero and the USB board create a very tight connection (each connector set is fairly tight to begin with). I use a wide flat-blade screwdriver with the tip inserted between the two boards right next to the microB connector set closest to the side of the HDD. The screwdriver shaft is oriented perpendicular to the Pi Zero. One edge of the screwdriver blade is pushing on the edge of the PiZero board right next to the female microB (by turning the screwdriver clockwise) and the other edge ends up pushing on the face of the USB adapter board. Be careful that the screwdriver doesn’t hit any components on the USB adapter board (there’s a clear spot in that area). Then you need to do a “rocking” motion where you create a little movement/progress with the screwdriver, then pull the opposite end of the Pi Zero (with your left thumb, for example) to make a little movement/progress on the other microB connector set. It’s a little tricky holding everything while doing this, but not too bad. Then go back and forth prying each side and gradually getting enough back and forth rotation of the Pi Zero to disengage both connections. It ain’t pretty, but I’ve done it many, many times.

If you have trouble, or if the above procedure sounds too difficult, I can send you some parts so you can build a separate Node Zero “W”.

My email is dave.chew@wdc.com

Thanks!

Hi Dave
thanks for the quick reply. I summoned up my courage and followed your advice - it worked like a charm…

Now to get the software working.

Great! Really glad it worked out. You probably have the first Node Zero W now! I just got my first Pi Zero W’s and was planning to do the swap-in this weekend. You beat me to it!

Thanks.

WARNING - I came across a problem with this. The fit is VERY tight. When I gently prized the Zero from the PiDrive the metal shroud of the PiDrive miniUSB closest to the edge of the unit broke off and was stuck in the Pi Zero, leaving just the plastic parts protruding from the PCB. Retrieving the metal part from the Pi resulted in some damage making it unueable.

I had to cannibalise the shroud from an old USB cable to repair the fitting (this was a bit tricky). The Pi and the PiDrive work fine now, but if you are trying this, be very careful.

NOTE: I have a long experience with repairing computers and I got caught by this. I am hoping to get a new PiDrive PCB from WDlabs.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience with the forum. The PiDrive Node Zero wasn’t designed to be disassembled, although so far I’ve been able to disassemble the (many) units I’ve tried. Connecting the two sets of fixed-position microB connectors makes it a tight situation (whether assembling or disassembling) which is part of the reason we provide the product pre-assembled rather than as a kit.

Please send me an email (dave.chew@wdc.com) so I can address your last sentence. Thanks!

Hi Dave,

I’ve just received my Node Zero and swapped the Zero for a Zero W. I’m using a 5v 3a power supply, but I get the rainbow screen with the Zero W. the Zero boots up ok. Would an update of the OS help, or am I doing something else wrong? I’ve tried two different Zero Ws.

Hi,
Yes, you’ll need to use the updated version of Foundation Edition (a.k.a. beta version 2017-03-25). You can download it here (at the bottom of the webpage): High-Performance SSDs, HDDs, USB Drives, & Memory Cards | Western Digital

BTW, the latest official release of NOOBS (v2.4) at raspberrypi.org now supports OS installation on the USB drive (same feature as in our Foundation Edition). You can try it on your Node Zero W.

Let me know if you run into problems. Thanks.

Hi Dave, thank you for the advice. I now have a fully functional Node Zero W.

I got my Pi Drive Node Zero and it has a torx bit I cant seem to find the right size for any ideas? I have aPi Zero W and a ! tb HDD for this project I can’t use at the moment.

The screws are T6 Torx. A driver such as at the link below should work. You’ll want to read through the earlier posts on this thread describing the disassembly process. The product was not designed to be disassembled, although it can be done with care.

Is it possible to order a replacement pcb for the pi drive node? I too broke my connectors off trying to swap out the Pi zero.