Can i My Cloud EX4 stream to a WDTV outside the house via Remote / Cloud access

Hi everyone!

I have a question. I want to buy a WD TV for the next purpose: I have my cloud ex4 at home. I want to buy WD TV and connect it to my server and watch videos outside my house. Can I do so? For example, my cloud is in Russia and I am on vocations somewhere in Europe. Can I watch videos from my NAS?

The WDTV has does not support Remote / Cloud access outside of your Home Network.

Short Answer: No

Even if a WDTV did have the capability you want, it would not even be necessary, because you may already have the capability. I can stream videos and music to my iPhone or iPad via the My Cloud app which can connect to a My Cloud NAS at my home through the internet. The limiting fact is the speed of both the internet connections at home and away. Video needs at least 25mbps speed download and 12mbps upload speeds. If you do not have the complete user manual for your EX4. download it from wdc.com Support, and look through it for instructions of how to access media files remotely.

1 Like

Watching videos on a iPhone or iPad is a little different to watching videos on a Big TV Screen with a WDTV :wink:

watch videos outside my house. Can I do so?

For sure, Joey, although the OP only basically said he wants to ā€œwatch videos outside my house. Can I do so?ā€ The answer is yes, under certain conditions, and I gave him one condition. The OP needs to give more detail about his video file formats, the equipment he has, and what devices he wants to watch on for us to supply more detailed infoā€¦

1 Like

I want to watch it on my Macbook. The internet connection is fine. The key problem is I have installed Plex and it writes that My processor is too slow to convert videos. If I am not mistaken I can watch videos on my mac which can be played in QucikTime, canā€™t I?

The Original Question was ā€¦ Can i My Cloud EX4 stream to a WDTV outside the house via Remote / Cloud access.

But ā€¦ the OP has edited the Topic of the thread now to ā€œPhoneā€

Joey, back off dude. Why are you bringing up WDTV again, we both agree that cannot be done. We are both helping the guy in our own ways. Chill out. please.

1 Like

back off dude ? iā€™m only responding to the original topicā€¦

ZverArt changed the Topic Title of the Thread mike27oct

Why do you think this is in the WDTV Media Player Forum (have a look, if you donā€™t believe me)

I donā€™t care what forum it is at this time. I an about to give him another reply, then he can be all yours. I am going to bed here in US!

ZverArt

I want to watch it on my Macbook. The internet connection is fine. The key problem is I have installed Plex and it writes that My processor is too slow to convert videos. If I am not mistaken I can watch videos on my mac which can be played in QucikTime, canā€™t I?

I suppose you can download the file from your NAS and play it on your MacBook if it is a file type you Mac can play A large gigabit file would be a real pain to download, though. Best for smaller mp4 types of files less than 2GB Good luck,

I will leave you in the good hands of Joey.

I am chilled out, are you ?

The original question is ā€¦

Which i answered ā€˜Noā€™ thatā€™s not possible ā€¦

Then the thread turns into a iPad, iPhone, Macbook Question and Answer thread ā€¦ and the ZverArt changed the Topic of the thread ā€¦ which still remains in the WDTV Media Player Forum.

Well, you should ā€¦ if the topic and information is in the wrong forum

Yep, i answered his WDTV question :smile:

If ZverArt had any further questions he/she should have created a Topic in the My Cloud EX4 Forum

https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/wd-my-cloud-ex4

joey AGREE, AGREE AGREEā€¦goodnight.