Can I get stero thorugh TV and 5.1 through stereo

Before I buy this new model, I have a question about how it handles DTS, since there is a new deisgnation “2.0+ digital out”.

I hook up this new WD device to my LCD TV via HDMI and hook up the WD to my stereo via optical audio cable. I set the WD Live to “digital” for audio and play a movie with 5.1 DTS:

1. What will I get through my TV? Anything?

2. what will I get hrough my stereo. Stereo or 5.1?

With the WD live I currently have - old version - I get no audio on my TV unless I set the live to “stereo”; but then I lose 5.1 when I play through my stereo. if I set it to “digital” I get 5.1 through my stereo, but no audio on my TV.

The new WDTV Live SMP also behaves the same way.

1. What will I get through my TV? Anything?  – Nothing until you set it to stereo

2. what will I get hrough my stereo. Stereo or 5.1? - if set to Digital optical you will get 5.1 otherwise 2 channel

There are TWO different Digital Settings:   HDMI and OPTICAL.

If you set your WD to “Digital Audio via HDMI:”

a)  If your TV can decode the stream, then you’ll hear audio.   You will hear nothing out of your stereo.

b)  If your TV cannot, then you’ll hear nothing.  You will hear nothing out of your stereo.

If you set your WD to “Digital Audio via Optical”

a)  Your AVR will decode the audio (if supported) and play it.  You will get no audio from your TV

b)  You will hear nothing if your AVR doesn’t support the format.   You will get no audio from your TV.

If you set your WD to STEREO

a)  You will get stereo (2 channel) audio from both your TV and your AVR.

You cannot simultaneously output 2-channel and 5.1 channel out different outputs.

thanks, that’s what I thought

so tt’s the same as the old wd live, just with a new DTS designation to confuse the masses more.

I would also like to play at same time 2.0 on TV (via HDMI) and 5.1 on AVR (via OPTICAL).

I think that this is the most common setup when you have TV and AVR and I hope that this will be added as option in future firmware…

This is “WDTV Live Streaming”  forum, try posting in the “WDTV Live Hub”  forum.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Media-Player/ct-p/live_hub

UnhappyCamper wrote:
I have searched for HOURS and HOURS on Google for this solution.

Before buying the device, right?

hrvach wrote:

I would also like to play at same time 2.0 on TV (via HDMI) and 5.1 on AVR (via OPTICAL). I think that this is the most common setup when you have TV.

I’m guessing the idead is to have 1 HDMI cable from the LIVE to the AVR. Putting out audio to two different devices simultaneously might lead to out of sync audio with both of the adding different kinds of delays.

1. I posted in the wdtv live hub forum as per your request.

2. No. I didn’t spend hours on google to find a solution for a problem I didn’t know I had. You see optical and hdmi out, you buy it. Both should output at the same time right? I would like hdmi to TV so I get the best picture possible AND sound to go with it when I don’t want to have the AVR On without having to go into settings every time I want to change output.

3. A decent AVR has what’s called a Delay option. I am not worried about Sync and Delay issues. When I have the AVR on, I lower my TV volume anyway. But I would like audio from the TV when not using the AVR without constantly having to switch settings in options everytime which gets rather annoying. The AVR only has Optical and Coax digital inputs, so it’s HDMI to TV for now, and Optical to AVR. Both should work at the same time.

I hope it gets reported and fixed right away.

Thank you gentlemen for replying to the post.

Yes I thik this is baldy needed setup option. I think WD assumes everybody ias running their HDMI thorugh their steroes, but not everbody is. It wastes a lot of electricity to ahve to turn on your stereo just to watch TV. There really is not reason to do that unless you are listening to your stereo.

I think that the HDMI and optical should ahve different controls. It couldn;t be that hard, could it?