I’m considering buying an EX2 to use for home backups, and I have a question about the auto-rebuild functionality of the RAID 1. What I would like to do (assuming I have three drives numbered 1, 2, and 3):
- Install drives 1 and 2 in RAID 1 configuration and back up my computer.
- Remove drive 1 and insert drive 3. I believe the RAID will rebuild itself and drive 3 will now be identical to drives 1 and 2.
- Take drive 1 to offsite storage.
- After a month of ongoing backups, bring drive 1 back and use it to replace drive 2. My hope is that the existing contents of drive 1 would be wiped and it would be reinitialized as a mirror of drive 3.
- Take drive 2 to offsite storage.
- Repeat monthly.
Does anyone know if this works? Really the question is what the system does if you insert a disk which already contains data and was already known to the system in the past.