Can i copy specific files from my ext hd to my wd hub?

Ok so i have a 3 tb WD ext hard drive, and I just got the 1tb WD TV Live Hub for christmas. My external HD is filled with a mix of music and movies. I would like to copy the movies I have on the ext HD on to the Live Hub. How can I do this without syncing up everything that is on my ext? Is there any way I can just choose to copy my ‘movies’ folder on my external?

Thanks

Also im not hooked up to the internet, just the hub to the TV and my external to the hub.

Thanks

Using the Live Hub interface you can copy one movie at a time from the USB drive to the Hub. It is slow, but still faster than trying to do it via the network.

Where is the live hub interface?

On your TV

Download the User Manual and Read  Page(40)  “Move and Copy”

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=254&type=25

I would also disable Sync from USB Storage   Setup>Operation

Ok so I get how to do it now… So it looks like it takes about three minutes or so to transfer one movie. I have about a thousand movies to transfer. Is it going to be ok to let it transfer those continuiously for however long it takes? I am assuming a couple days or so…

Thanks

Why don’t you leave the “Thousand” movies where they are …

on your 3TB External and leave it attached to the Live Hub Via USB ?

Have you calculated how many Gigabytes the “Thousand” movies are taking up ?

and if they will all fit onto the Live Hub’s 1TB Internal Drive ?

Anyways … transfering via USB would probably take a Full Day i’m guessing.

JoeySmyth wrote:

Anyways … transfering via USB would probably take a Full Day i’m guessing.

Joey’s correct. Last weekend I moved two TB of movies from a full External USB drive to a 3TB External USB drive, both connected to the same computer running win7, and it took about a day and a half. Settle back and enjoy the ride,

-P

@pearl

Last weekend I moved two TB of movies from a full External USB drive to a 3TB External USB drive, both connected to the same computer running win7, and it took about a day and a half. Settle back and enjoy the ride,

I use “FastCopy 2.11” on my PC when copying from External to External on my PC

(which is Faster than Windoze Copy & Move) 

2TB Copy on PC should take “about” 10-12 hrs.

Set the Transfer Buffer to 128 or 256 (or more… depending on your PC’s Ram)

I also use this when copying files via Network to the Hub …

Usually Max’s out at around 6-8 Mbps (USB 2 USB is Usually around 20-25 Mbps)

Excelent, thanks Joey, my next move is to back the my new primary movie drive to another 3TB. looks like you just saved me a whole bunch of time

-P

I dont want to leave attached because I use the external at my computer all the time as it has all my music on it too. And yes all the movies on my external take up nine hundred and forty GB so it should all just fit on there.

@Westwildcat

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I dont want to leave attached because I use the external at my computer all the time as it has all my music on it too. And yes all the movies on my external take up nine hundred and forty GB so it should all just fit on there.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Nope, they most probably all won’t fit.  (you’ve gone over by about 9.56GB)

Your Movies = 940GB

[WDTV Live Hub] Total Size = 930.44GB  

To Check the “Real Total Capacity” of the WDTV Live Hub Internal HDD = Setup > System > Disk Manager 

@pearl

Comparison Based on a “User Report”  (Edit: Fast Copy is an Older Version)

1.22 GB file copy test and the results are:

FastCopy 2.08                            – 35 sec.
ExtremeCopy 2.0.5                    – 35 sec.
KillCopy 2.85                              – 45 sec.
SuperCopier 2.2 Beta               – 47 sec.
Copy Handler 1.32                     – 50 sec.
RichCopy 4.0.211                       – 50 sec.
Windows XP (classic copy)      – 52 sec.
FFCopy 1.0                                   – 58 sec.
TeraCopy Pro 2.2                         – 1 minute 15 sec.
Ultracopier 0.2.0.15                    – 1 minute 25 sec.

Ok thanks guess i will have to choose some to not put on…