Can I access to DX4000 without disks?

Hello fellas!
I bought WD Sentinel DX4000 without disks half year ago thinking I can easy run NAS & torrent download server on it. Can I somehow run it without disks, upgrade firmware and run it on WD Red, Blue or another producer’s disks? I can buy 2 2TB disks WD RE4 WD2003FYYS (link) on the local ebay-like portal - maybe they will work? Please tell me how to do it. Another way I’m gonna just sell it.

Hi @mikolajkmix,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

It will not run without disc and the disc you need to be able to recover it are obsolete.

If you have tons of time and the ability to edit an iso file you “might” be able to edit the whitelist and use newer drives.

But support for server 2008r2 ended years ago and the box itself is over 15 years old. If you can get any money for it be happy.

Already opened support case, but it brings nothing new what I couldn’t know before.

Just gave it to my uncle, which is familiar with electronics and programming. Said he’ll try to do his best. At this point I have to wait until he’ll comes up with something.

By the way is there any option to turn off that whitelist? Change “1” to “0” maybe? Would be pretty good.

You will just have to search this group
I think it sets it to ***

The problem is the recovery is run from an .iso file and I never tried to spend the money or effort to do so. (edit the iso)

wd has a file that does this on a running box. Your problem is you cannot get it running without the specific drives on the list to run it

It is a windows box so unlike *nix NAS boxes it does not have firmware onboard to boot from

Mr. Gramps
As dx4000 is so old device and has many problems , what is newest device you recommended to buy it as we used dx4000 at small office with 8 computers use it as central storage .
thanks

I am using a Synology DS 220+ I like it a lot

But no matter what device you get, you need to make backups of the data. Raid is not a backup

1 Like