Can AV output be used while HDMI is in use, plus analog audio signal while HDMI is on?

I need to provide my RV sound system with some audio signal and my TV has no out put. I also would like to send a standard definition signal to my rear TV while I have a HD signal going to the main TV. Anyone give me some advice?  Thanks-

Yes, the composite AV video output works at the same time as HDMI.

However, the only way to have simultaneous HDMI audio and AV audio is to set the Audio Output mode to STEREO.

Thanks Tony- I’ll make the setting change today.

I still am trying to find a way to pipe audio content from media I’m playing on the Media Player via HDMI to my stereo system which has a USB input and also accepts a “headphone jack” for analog audio.

Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

JackieTreehorn wrote:

my stereo system which has a USB input and also accepts a “headphone jack” for analog audio.

Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

A “Headphone Jack” socket typically 3.5mm, is an Output

(Unless it’s labeled otherwise [on the unit or in the user manual] as an Input… then you’ll need a 3.5mm to Female RCA Adaptor)

eg. 

I have a USB input on my radio for MP3 player, etc. I presume I can use that to input the sound from the WDTV Live- is that USB output on the WDTV Live actively providing audio logic?

No.  USB on the WDTV is for USB storage devices only.

OK- I now understand both the front and rear USBs are inputs only.

Do you know if the optical audio output can be converted to a USB signal that I could use to connect to my sound system?

No, your USB input on your stereo system is for external storage as well.   It’s not a “sound” input, it’s a file input.

So I’m down to the AVS Composite output on the WDTV Live, which I presume is simply a compined video/audio signal without any way to seperate the audio for my sound system “AUX” input, and then the Optical SPDIF output. I guess the one option is to buy a converter for the SPDIF output that gives me a stereo audio signal?

The audio and video signals on the AV output are already separated.  There’s a White, Red, and Yellow connection.   Yellow is video.   Red and White are stereo audio.

I’m going from the 3.5 AVS output to a stereo 3.5 input jack on the receiver. I just tried a straight stereo jack (both male 3.5 jacks) and that didn’t give me a usable signal. Do I need a custom cable?

are you 100% sure the 3.5mm socket on your stereo system is an INPUT ?

(As i said … if it’s a Headphone Jack which is OUTPUT then it aint gonna work)

What does the User Manual say ?   

Please post the Brand, Model No. of the Stereo  … so we can check

It’s a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT Stereo Receiver. The description on their website is:

“Front USB Port and AUX Input”

In the manual it says to use the AUX Input you connect the stereo minijack and then use the Source button to select AUX.

JackieTreehorn wrote:

It’s a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT Stereo Receiver. The description on their website is:

“Front USB Port and AUX Input”

a Car Audio reciever ?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X6600BT

Of course. The original post explains that this installation is in an RV. There may be a limited number of RVs that have a full home system, but not my 33 footer!

ok, i get it now (wasnt sure what RV meant … now i do)

so, you need to use the AV cable (Red,White,Yellow) that came with your SMP (this is important)

and then a 3.5mm to RCA (Red,White) Female adaptor in my previous post which then plugs into the AUX.

then select AUX on the pioneer (also make sure the SMP is set to Stereo)

JackieTreehorn wrote:

I’m going from the 3.5 AVS output to a stereo 3.5 input jack on the receiver. I just tried a straight stereo jack (both male 3.5 jacks) and that didn’t give me a usable signal. Do I need a custom cable?

You cannot use a ‘normal’ cable as the WD player AV cable is not wired in the same way. Other than making up your own cable the best thing to do is as joey suggested, use an adaptor together with the supplied WD cable.

The installer used the included cables for a different part of the installation, and they are not available for this- I presume it’s simply some jack configuration that I have to have to do the adjustment to stereo, or is WD using some proprietary jack for that AVS output?

The tip pinout is non-standard   (i wonder what the installer used the cable for ?)

@richuk

Does this Tip Pinout for the WDTV Live (Composite) also apply to the SMP ?

http://pinoutsguide.com/Home/wd_tv_tvout_cable_pinout.shtml

JoeySmyth wrote:

The tip pinout is non-standard   (i wonder what the installer used the cable for ?)

@richuk

Does this Tip Pinout for the WDTV Live (Composite) also apply to the SMP ?

http://pinoutsguide.com/Home/wd_tv_tvout_cable_pinout.shtml

Yes the leads are the same on both players.

JackieTreehorn

If you use a standard stereo jack it will not work as the tip on the WD player is the video output. The jack on the WD lead has a tip and two rings. Its the two rings which are used for audio output. See joeys diagram link.