Buying the WD My Cloud: Worth it?

the chart indicates 1.4GB/minute for 400 files of about 4MB each, larger files are faster, smaller slower. the top screenshot was taken about halfway through the copy pretty low CPU especially the twonky server was having issues

transfer 1.7GB / 400 files

this was taken about half way through the copy

First of all, I’m not a Troll !

I’m a family guy with kids and limited spare time on my hands !

Second, I’m Underdog (not under), but for some reason I not able to login as Underdog anymore…!!!

Very strange … censorship ? ( I hope not because, that’s really not the way to handle the challenges with My Cloud !) 

3.rd : I just wanted to let you know, I decided to return the purchased 4GB My Cloud.

Based on the warnings & feedback from this forum, I do not dare to “go down this path” …

Hope WD figures out a way forward, because a lot of us want such a product !

Best regards Underdog

I only bought mine a few weeks ago, but am realy happy with it.

so only positive comments from my site :wink:

the chart indicates 1.4GB/minute for 400 files of about 4MB each, larger files are faster, smaller slower. the top screenshot was taken about halfway through the copy pretty low CPU especially the twonky server was having issues

Looks like twonky is trying to scrape info out of new file being uploaded. Consuming 80% on 1 CPU while using ffmpeg.

If you really need to using Twonky, then maybe turn it off before large transfers. If you don’t use twonky, then turn it off and save yourself some CPU load.

smbd is samba which is running at 50% CPU load, and system is running at 51% (context switching, API calls, likely I/O).

For lots of small files, this will be high as there is alot more communication from samba client and server to startup file transfer for each new file and create/access directory information within mycloud. A 4mb file is small by todays standards.

thanls for the feedback, actually the twonky is a seperate issue. after I noticed this I killed it and tried again and it was about 10% faster but not much.

the twonky has issues when trying to access it from my dish hopper device which also has issues with windows media player. it locks up the joey and runs away on mycloud, not sure why but a low priority for me