Buildroot - Building Custom F/W

Has anyone tried building a custom F/W for the MPW?

I’ve downloaded the WDC gpl buildroot and it all seems to be working fine, it appears to build as expected, it’s just compiling a F/W image now…

I want to modify the F/W so I can add some stuff like an automated backup screen to the webpages… and a few other tweaks I currently have to run manually…

It also appears that the buildroot can compile in a whole load of software that isn’t selected in the WD build… so I will compile all of that and try it out as well.

Please bear in mind such proceedings are not warranted or supported by Western Digital.

Beyond that, I recall an advanced SSH thread was created a few months ago. I’d suggest a board search.

I’m aware of the warranty situation…

Yes I know I can SSH to the device (I have some custom scripts which are installed this way)…

What I mean is to use the GPL Buildroot source that WD provide to build a complete flash image…

I’ve answered my own question though… it’s fully possible to build and flash 1.04.06, but the latest 1.06.06 image is not working as the source on the WD download page is actually broken. It doesnt build and you end up witha 6MB image instead of a 70+ MB one…

Can anyone from WD inform the developers and get the sources fixed?

Related thread:

How did you boot the built kernel ?

The instructions are in the archive… it produces a complete flashable firmware that works fine. The 1.06.06 one works as well once you know the magic…

you must use: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

Then do exactly this:

1. sudo vi /usr/share/i18n/locales/tr_TR
  2. Goto line 64
  3. Add "% " in the beginning of line like following

% define UPPERCASE_FIRST

1. sudo apt-get install g++ php5

Build Firmware Steps

1. tar xvfz buildroot-GPL-FW1_06_06.tgz
  2. cd buildroot-GPL
  3. ./buildfwupg_img.sh
  4. Firmware image will be create under buildroot-GPL folder

MyPassportWireless_1.06.06.bin

1. Clean build
    ./cleanfwupg_img.sh

That will produce a working flashable 1.06.06 firmware.

1 Like

thx, then I’ll have to try to build a more recent kernel ie 3.10 for containers

Do you have uart working ?