[BUG] Video not played if ampersand (&) in title

Hi all,

I would like to inform you that if a video file name contains an ampersand (&) the player refeses to play it.

Only renaming the file everithing is ok.

Thanks for the bug report. I’ll look into this.

Holy cow a useless response from the useless corporation called WD, what about ACTUALLY FIXING BUGS ON THIS PIECE OF TRASH. ALWAYS THE STANDARD ANSWER BUT NO MOVEMENT, WDC IS A FARCE. SO WHAT WD IS GOING TO LOOK INTO IT WOW. LOOKED INTO IT, ITS A BUG, PROBLEM SOLVED. click the solved button so WD can put a check mark on the forum.

hmmm…i can play my movie named Fast & Furious.mp4 that has a corresponding Fast & Furious.** jpg** of the movie , no problems…

I check it again and I noticed the bug is not in simple & but in file names having

"

string in them.

thanks

That’s because the quotation mark is an illegal character for a file name.  Now, Bugly, I think you should say you’re sorry.

???

I don’t understand. Are you serious?

The html value of " is " (quotation mark).

But in file name there is the " not " so is the reader that try to convert it to html.

Yes, I’m serious, the QUOTATION MARK is illegal in a filename.

I don’t understand what you mean by “is the reader that try to convert it…”

What reader are you talking about?    It’s not the WD device, it must be something else on your PC if you were able observe that the text “"” was in the filename…

Sorry, maybe it is my fault that I’m not able to explain you the problem.

Let’s do a very simple example:

the file name is

part1"part2.avi

Where did you see the quotation mark?

" is the html value for quotation mark but in file name there isn’t the quotation mark but only "

WD TV Live (the reader) converts it to its value and gives the error.

That is the bug.

giangi72 wrote:

Sorry, maybe it is my fault that I’m not able to explain you the problem.

Let’s do a very simple example:

the file name is

part1"part2.avi

Where did you see the quotation mark?

" is the html value for quotation mark but in file name there isn’t the quotation mark but only "

WD TV Live (the reader) converts it to its value and gives the error.

That is the bug.

What is that between &quot and part2, its a semi-colon, another illegal character.

I am sure that if we all really tried hard we could find file names that the WDTV will not play. The answer surely is to be a bit flexible and rename them, its not that hard.

To avoid the problem, don’t use illegal characters in filenames. Illegal Windows file name characters are as follows: 

?    [   ]    /    &nbsp;   =   +    <    >    :    ;    "    ,    * 

perhaps you could also edit the title of this thread which is incorrect.

If deleting the ; solves your problem perhaps you would press the solved button so that we can all move towards solving real problems.

[   ]    =   +    ;     ,    are not illegal character

?     /    &nbsp;   <    >    :    "   *   are illegal character

I don’t know where you read all of them are illegal.

The bug is still open

Yes, I can rename the files but sometimes I don’t check all the names, expecially for TV series so the bug arises

My real point is that the problem has nothing to do with the & or the &quot part of your filname. It also has nothing to do with html or some WDTV reader. Its all down to the semi-colon. You can prove that by taking out the ; and it will work. 

Every time anybody has come up with an answer you have changed the reason for the so called bug.

Can you change the heading for this ‘bug’ to the indicate the real reason why your video does not play.

If I take out the semicolon the " string is not anymore valid as HTML.

So it will be played without dubt.

Where do you read that I changed my reason every time?

My only change was when I thought the problem was only & and I discovered it was "

The reason is only one:

" is an invalid char and tv live try to convert " in it.

Additional info:

I know it isn’t a severe bug.

I’m able to play the file changing the name on PC (changing room, switching on the monitor, looking for file, renaming it, switching off the monitor, going again to TV = less the 4 minutes).

But you can’t write to me that it isn’t a bug.