Bug: video doesnt play well

Hi,

Just wanted to report 2 bugs with videoplayback, for these 2 files:

1. http://tinyurl.com/h264digg → video/audio out of sync. No problems on PC or TVIX 6500.

2. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EI44RCD3 → play back is far from smooth, the train ‘stutters’ a lot. Plays smooth on PC. BTW, Issue is not related to network and exists from USB as well.

Hopefully your engineers can fix this. Thanks.

Sjef.

It’s *extremely* unlikely that anyone from WD will look at these files (heck, even *I* don’t feel like it) but if you are having issues playing back some files one thing that nearly always works is to run them through Handbrake using the High Profile, changing the output filetype to MKV.

It will re-encode the file, but that may be necessary in some cases anyway.

Hi Mike,

Hmm… Why is it so unlikely ? These are bugs in the WDTV Live, isn’t support willing to solve them ? Of course I can re-encode them to a format that the WDTV accepts, but of course I would appreciate a bug fix much more !

Thanks !

Sjef

I downloaded your m2ts ‘train’ sample file and tested it on my WD TV Live.

Playback wasn’t acceptably smooth, as you said.

I then tried muxing the streams into an MKV to see if it made any difference.  It didn’t.

Finally, I tried playing the file on my PC.  It also played back jerkily.  My PC is a Core 2 Duo (E6400), it’s never had any issues playing back my other media before.  In this case, I think the problem may be with the media, not the player.

Downloading the MP4 file to test now.

My PC plays it just fine, as does my notebook (and also if i connect my notebook via HDMI to the TV, it’s smooth as a baby’s **bleep** :slight_smile: ) I’m not sure what’s causing this though …

I have the same problem.  With several different types of media…all of which play well on my PC.

Well, in general, make sure it’s not your network (try to play the file from USB) and also setting the refreshrate in the menu to that of the file can make a difference.

Anyway, the files I just posted are really examples of bugs in the firmware (the symptoms occur on both USB and at native frequency)

SjefDeKlerk wrote:

Hi Mike,

Hmm… Why is it so unlikely ?

It’s unlikely because:

1. WD tech staff almost NEVER read these forums (or at least comment on them)

2. They can’t possibly address all the various codecs and containers out there in a hardware device (unlike a PC, where it’s easy to update them)

So my advice is to re-encode.  Either that or you won’t be able to play them properly (it’s your call).

I confirm that both play fine on the PC.

Re train. This slightly stutters until the train is half way across lake and then it is smooth as silk. I note the frame size of  1920 *1080. I find that this size struggles to stream well. I have had similar issues but when dropping to 1440 * 1080 then it is fine and I cannot spot the difference in pic quality. I belive this is to do with the system trying to buffer enough data.  I stream via powerline network.

Re diggreel. Wow that is some audio synch. Hav enever seen one that bad. I note that the audio is at 121kbs.  I am not an expert on audio but that seems a funny bitrate.  The WD Live does struggle with some bit rates.

Exactly. And like you noted the file plays fine on the PC (and even if you connect your PC/notebook via HDMI to your TV).

mkelley wrote:

It’s unlikely because:

1. WD tech staff almost NEVER read these forums (or at least comment on them)
  1. They can’t possibly address all the various codecs and containers out there in a hardware device (unlike a PC, where it’s easy to update them)

So my advice is to re-encode.  Either that or you won’t be able to play them properly (it’s your call).

Ok. I thought this forum, being the ‘official’ WD forum would be different from all other forum in that way that the admins, like you, actually had contact with the developers and this forum was a way to report bugs to the developers. I must have misunderstood. Anyway, do you think there’s any other way to get in contact with the developers ? Or do you think they simply don’t care ?

SjefDeKlerk wrote:

mkelley wrote:

It’s unlikely because:

Ok. I thought this forum, being the ‘official’ WD forum would be different from all other forum in that way that the admins, like you, actually had contact with the developers and this forum was a way to report bugs to the developers. I must have misunderstood. Anyway, do you think there’s any other way to get in contact with the developers ? Or do you think they simply don’t care ?

I am sure mkelley would love being called a forum admin but he is not. (Sorry m, could not resist.)  Only admin is Bill it seems. Any such queries as yours should go via tech support though don’t expect any great revelations I am afraid.  despite mkelley not being an admin he is right in that you should try to recode.

I do wonder with the train one whether there is some issue with key frames but am not sure.  I have just tested one of my 1900 files again and note a very slight shutter at the beginning so this is a common feature. It is as if the player takes time to synchonise the video.

This forum is run very much as a community forum rather than an interface with WD. Not sure why they do it that way as so many other forums are more open but at the end of the day, their forum, their rules.

First of all, I’m not an admin here (AFAIK, only Bill_S from WD is).  I’m just someone with too much time on their hands who tries to help out.  And I’m not an apologist for WD – one of my main problems with them, in fact, is there ISN’T a technical presence on this board to handle posts like the one you made (either to say “Yes, we’re aware of this issue” or “No, thanks for letting us know”).

You can *try* to the Ideas tab above – the theory is that the tech staff does read those and consider them, even though yours isn’t an idea per se but an actual bug report.  But you could say something like “I wish the WD could play these files properly” and give the mediainfo information about them.

I do think WD staff cares – but I also am symphathetic to their problems.  I worked the Apple forums for years and they had very similar issues and yet their staff is HUGE compared to WD (I’m guessing at least an order or magnitude, if not two). 

Gotcha. Thanks Kosh2 !

Kosh,

You beat me by 30 seconds (while I was typing) – but I’ll let my post stand as it still expresses my feelings well.

Right, also thanks for your explanation, Mike.

I thought you had a sneaky promotion!!!

kosh2 wrote:

I do wonder with the train one whether there is some issue with key frames but am not sure.  I have just tested one of my 1900 files again and note a very slight shutter at the beginning so this is a common feature. It is as if the player takes time to synchonise the video.

No, that has nothing to do with it. I’ve cut this part out of a bigger file, an official Panasonic demo, and it’s somewhere in the middle of that demo and has the exact same problem.

I personally think (and hope that’s that not true) that the SMP8655 cpu in the WDTV Live is simply not powerful enough to decode this smoothly. Weird thing however is that when you check the processor load (via SSH), it’s not high at all. However it might be possible that the load you’re seeing via the ‘top’ command is not the same core/part of the processor that does the video processing.

Supposedly the HDI Dune 3.0 plays the file smoothly.

I think the DIGGREEL thing is a bit munged but I can’t find evidence of it.

I ran it through HANDBRAKE and it came out OK, but the video wasn’t smooth.  It’ll do that if it has to change the frame rate.

I think even though the header reports the video is 23.97FPS that it’s actually 30FPS, or maybe even 60FPS which accounts for the sync issue.  HandBrake will account for that automatically.

As to the train, that’s a RAR file, and I can’t read that, and don’t feel like downloading more software to open it.

I’ll forward these files to the dev team to investigate. Thanks for the bug report.