Bug v1.04.31 - No menu appears upon power on.. require off/on few times

Noticed this problem recently after firmware upgraded to v.1.04.31.

WDTVLive doesn’t start up properly after turning on power. It hangs after the WDTV Live startup screen… can’t see menu at all… just blank (no signal). I had to turn off and on the power few times, until I got the menu.

Wonder if its due to the latest firmware. Previously, no such issue. I even unplugged all USB connections to make sure.

Anyone experience such?

I would not exactly call this a bug as it is probably only happening to you or a few users. I would simply call it a problem or fault.

Have you tried resetting via the side paperclip button. Press for a couple of seconds and then release with the unit fully booted up.

I assume that you are connected via a HDMI lead. It may be that the unit has problems negotiating with your TV and therefore displays a blank screen. You could test this out by connecting via a composite lead to see if the same problem occurs.

You are not the only one who has this problem too. For me, WDTV doesn’t show menu sometimes and I need to turn it off and turn it on again to work problerly. In that situation the remote control doesn’t work either. I realized the USB led doesn’t turn on either. So, I believe if it was some bug with HDMI, the remote controle would work as the USB led would be on too. This behavior started since last firmware (1.04.31).

gilvanj wrote:

You are not the only one who has this problem too. For me, WDTV doesn’t show menu sometimes and I need to turn it off and turn it on again to work problerly. In that situation the remote control doesn’t work either. I realized the USB led doesn’t turn on either. So, I believe if it was some bug with HDMI, the remote controle would work as the USB led would be on too. This behavior started since last firmware (1.04.31).

You possibly have a similar problem but not the same. The original poster never said that his front LED is off so it could be a HDMI problem. You say the USB LED is off do you mean that or you mean the power LED.

I also am seeing the same problem as the original poster. After turning on power, the box hangs after the WDTV Live startup screen… no menus at all… just black screen. If I turn power off and on it works the second time. I have had HDMI power up problems with the WD box ever since I bought it (v1.03.29), but this problem with the black screen started with v1.04.31. For me, this problem occurs about 10% of the time (when powering up).

Edit (4-27-2011): The problem with the black screen is happening less often than I originally posted. I see the problem about 5% of the time when powering up.

I didn’t know there was a led for USB before :P> I will have to pay attention to this led when such problem happens.> My remote control doesn’t work too, when the menu doesn’t show up. I can’t turn off the wdtv via the remote. I have to do it via the main power switch.> > * * *
gilvanj wrote:

You say the USB LED is off do you mean that or you mean the power LED.

The power led is on as soon as I turn on the WDTV Live. In this situation only the USD led doesn’t turn on. I know this led turns on just after some seconds I turn on the WDTV Live, but in the cases which the TV keeps black, without menus, the USB led never turns on.

I also have noticed intermittent startup problems.

Switch on with the remote, get the WD starup screen, goes blank then stays blank instead of switching to the “loading” startup screen.

Remote doesnt work, have to pull the plug then it starts the next time.  Happens about 25% of the time.  Didnt notice this on the previous version, although only had the box for a month.

Looks like the new firmware 1.05.04 didn’t solve this handshake problem either.

Last night, downgraded to 1.04.17 … no more stupid bugs … everything is smooth once again.