BUFFALO WLI-UC-GN USB 2.0 Nfiniti Wireless Ultra-Compact Adapter

Hi,

I’m contemplating a purchase of this wireless adapter but I’m not sure if it would handle an HD. Can anybody help? This adapter delivers up to 150mbps. Is that enough bandwidth to stream 720p without stuttering?

Thanks for your help.

The 150 Mbps bandwidth depends on whether your router is also N capable and plays nicely with your USB adapter.

However, I’m using a Belkin F5D8051 Draft ‘N’ USB adapter on a ‘G’ network  (<54Mbps) and regularly stream 720p media without issue.  A few nights ago I even streamed a 1080p anime film.  Aside from a few moments stutter midway, it played smoothly and in-sync throughout (and looked awesome).

The determining factor will likely be the bitrate of the file.  Too high and it will stutter.  The 1080p film mentioned above had a relatively small bitrate (<5Mbps) and most of my 720p films have bitrates of 4Mbps or less.

Bought it yesterday with the WD TV LIVE unite , upgraded to the last firmware .

I can surf the YouTube nicely , but the movies I have on my PC keeps lagging after 60 sec of starting the movie and then stop.

All my movies are MKV format with 1080p & 720p.

My PC runs Windows 7 x64 bit.

Internet speed 4mb.

I didn’t know the cause of the problem yet, but for now I don’t recommend it:cry:

karmawy wrote:

Bought it yesterday with the WD TV LIVE unite , upgraded to the last firmware .

I can surf the YouTube nicely , but the movies I have on my PC keeps lagging after 60 sec of starting the movie and then stop.

All my movies are MKV format with 1080p & 720p.

My PC runs Windows 7 x64 bit.

Internet speed 4mb.

I didn’t know the cause of the problem yet, but for now I don’t recommend it:cry:

After a firmware upgrade you need to:

reset the unit via the side button using a paperclip with the unit on.

reset to factory defaults (internal menu)

unplug from the power socket for some minutes (not seconds)

(Do all 3 one after the other)

Sometimes this helps to get the unit working correctly after the upgrade.

If rich’s advice doesn’t do the trick, perhaps get a USB extension cable and play with the placement a little / get it up higher.

I’m always a bit sceptical about the merits of a wi-fi dongle that tries to be as small as possible, got to have an effect on signal strength.  Probably worse if your Live is tucked away on a shelf like mine is.

My Belkin USB adapter is pretty big, plus it has a cradle it stands on with a decent length cable that lets you adjust the placement for better signal strength.  I get 4 bars on the Live (full strength I think?).