Bricked?

Hello,

I am on firmware 4.00.00-607 and I was following this guide to get nzbget 

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-NZBGet-11-0/td-p/619113

after running apt-get update

I got some warnings and errors, and nothing refused to install

I tried install -f

but it gave me errors and warnings.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package ‘libssh2-1:armhf’ missing; assuming package has no files currently installed

and ended with:

Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/nfs-kernel-server_1%3a1.2.8-9_armhf.deb

so I gave up and just rebooted, but the device refused to boot, I am getting a white light.

It seems bricked but my question is what did I do wrong to brick it?

does a apt-get update brick it?

I think that the responsibility falls on the WD, because so much time repairing fw.4 and people do not stand up and they try to repair the equipment

If people have genuine issues with their MYClouds they should contact tech support first or try this forum,  If it still doesn’t work get a refund.  

There seems to be loads of people out there who try and make the device do things it was not supposed to do then mess it up, the forum is littered with them.

If I wanted to have a play with some of the other NAS type tools/software I would use a Raspberry PI and  FreeNAS or something similiar.  

Much cheaper (no bricking your WD involved) and you will learn lots of good stuff along the way :smileyvery-happy:

I already have a raspberry pi.

WD firmware is just weird.

my guess would be the page size change in V4

I already downgraded to 3.

just running apt-get update and rebooting bricks it :slight_smile:

In 3 days, I have restored the WD My Cloud more than 5 times.

I have read most of the threads in this forum, and firmware 3.x should be “modifiable”, I am on v03.00.03-413 but I cannot install anything!

I tried guides posted for nzbget or transmission, whenever I try to install I get a bunch of errors and warnings about missing dependencies.

I am not sure how other people managed to install both programs.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Dont use apt or aptitude at v4 firmware!

“Normal” software cant work on v4 fw. Need recompile it with nonstandart page-size (64kb vs 4kb in normal)

Hi Fox_exe , i am on not on firmware v4 anymore.
I am on 3.00.03-413 and apt still breaks