Brand New WD TV Live Media Player installation

My son bought me a WD TV Media player for my birthday, and I’m having issues about the installation into my home theater system.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PE700U Plasma HDTV, which has two HMi slots, and one HD Composite. In one of the HDMi slots I have a Directv HR23-700 and in the second HDMi slot I have a LG DN898 DVD Player. These are both installed into my Yamaha HTR-5140 Surround Sound System, using optical digital hook ups. My Directv receiver is also hooked up to the internet using a ethernet wiring. My question is how do I hook up this WD TV edia Player into my Home Theater without messing it all up? Any help will be appricated. 

Connecting via optical is the safest bet

CaJazzman wrote:

My son bought me a WD TV Media player for my birthday, and I’m having issues about the installation into my home theater system.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PE700U Plasma HDTV, which has two HMi slots, and one HD Composite. In one of the HDMi slots I have a Directv HR23-700 and in the second HDMi slot I have a LG DN898 DVD Player. These are both installed into my Yamaha HTR-5140 Surround Sound System, using optical digital hook ups. My Directv receiver is also hooked up to the internet using a ethernet wiring. My question is how do I hook up this WD TV edia Player into my Home Theater without messing it all up? Any help will be appricated. 

Ideally, you would go hdmi from your components to the receiver and then the receiver would provide the video to the TV since you’re hdmi limited on your TV.  Unfortunately, your (yamaha) receiver doesn’t have hdmi inputs so that’s not an option for you unless you upgrade your receiver to one that does.

Since the WDTV Live (I assume you have the streaming media player, and if so, you’re in the wrong forum), you can only use hdmi or composite (forget that if you want any reasonable video quality on plasma).  So, I would replace the hdmi from your directv and go component (three color connector) to the TV, and then go hdmi from the WD to the TV.  And, optical from the WD to the receiver.

However, if you have the WDTV Live (gen 2) or Live Plus, then you can just use the component video out directly to the TV (and optical to the receiver) and leave the other devices as they are.