Blue LED light not showing on WD cloud

is there anyone who could help me out fixing my power light “blue light”
ideally a step by step indtructions iv a mac and all the walk throughs seem to be on a windows machine

i have a 4tb my cloud

cheers
dave

1:Login to your mycloud webUI entering its IP address in a browser
2:Go to setting> Network and turn on the SSH. default password will be welc0me
3:Use a simple terminal emulator app like putty to ssh to your myCloud using its IP address.
4:You should see similar prompt after a successful login: WDMyCloud:~#
5:Enter below 3 commands, you should get no output or error.

WDMyCloud:~# cp /usr/local/sbin/ledConfig.sh /usr/local/sbin/ledConfig.sh.orig
WDMyCloud:~# sed -i "s/blue/green/g" /usr/local/sbin/ledConfig.sh
WDMyCloud:~# exit

6:To test it, unplug the network cable until it starts to blink, then connect it back (Thanks [cpt_paranoia]).The green led will turn on.
7: Go back to webUI and disable SSH for security purposes.
note: Remember after every firmware upgrade, you need to redo this procedure.

2 Likes

Thankyou for the updated tutorial it worked 1st time

Did anyone else get prompted to change the root password from welc0me to another password

Cheers
Dave

That is expected behavior when one enables SSH. The user should be prompted to change the default password upon first login to the My Cloud using SSH.

For example, from the following WD Knowledgebase article:

Access Denied when SSH Login to a My Cloud
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24926/

Important:

The My Cloud (Single Bay) with firmware 04.xx.xx-xxx force the change of the default password upon first connection attempt…

Thankyou

I have My Cloud Mirror 4 TB, and the LED for Volume 1 is quite dead, and I would like to try your solution. It uses firmware version 2.12.127, and when I ssh into the My Cloud it says:

BusyBox v.1.20.2 (2014-10-30) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

The built-in commands listed do not include ‘cp’ or ‘sed’, and i am a bit wary about experimenting as I do not want to brick the My Cloud device. How could I proceed without too much risk?

Well, Since the shell and Machine are different, I cant say much unfortunately.
But you can try:
After ssh enter commands:

bash
which cp
which sed

Basically they are safe commands.
If you get the path for 2nd and 3rd commands in the output like /usr/bin/sed (for example), it means you are in a good environment.

Then you can use below safe command to see if the ledconfig file is in the same path as myCloud or not:
ls -la /usr/local/sbin/ledConfig.sh
If you get the file information, then you may use the same procedure (with your own risk since I didnt test it :wink: )

I have tried your latest advice, and it has brought me almost to success, but not quite. Here is a report:

• After the ‘bash’ command, ‘cp’ and 'sed* commands became available ('which* was not accepted, however).
  • I ran your cp command and then cd’ed to /usr/local/sbin and used ‘ls’ to list the files there. I now had both ledConfig.sh and ledConfig.sh.original, so that command worked.
  • I then ran the ‘sed’ command without issue, exit’ed the bash shell and then exit’ed busybox.
  • I then stopped the My Cloud Mirror and started it again. The led lights were still blue, and middle one was still dead, so something had not worked.
  • ssh’ed to the MyCloud box again, started the bash shell, and checked whether nano was available. I wasn’t, but vi was there.
  • I ran the command vi /usr/local/sbin/ledConfig.sh and the file opened, but only as ‘Readonly’. There was one “blue” left in LED_NORMAL_COLOR and one in LED_WARN_COLOR. I changed these and tried to force saving the changes with :wq!, but that did not work, so I had to leave without saving
  • Tried several more times to open ledConfig.sh, and also starting the command with ‘su’ and ‘sudo’, but it was always in Readonly mode.

So now I am stuck for the time being, but at least the My Cloud box is still working, and it was fun. Thank you for the advice!

Below I have uploaded a screenshot of the relevant part of ledConfig.sh as it is now.

This work, as advertised (LED now Green).
I would like to KNOW the Replacement multi-color LED to repair (hardware).
Since unit is Out of Warranty, and I have 35+ years of SMT bench experience — Skill not Issue — Just desire Proper Part (Save My Time Researching/Reverse Engineer).

gb

I have the exact same issue. Anyone has a fix?

The fix for a burned out blue LED color on a single bay/single drive My Cloud (not My Cloud Home) is mentioned up discussion. The workaround is to use SSH to access the My Cloud and modify the firmware code to change the blue LED color to green.