Blu-ray iso

Is this thing just not powerful enough for Blu-ray iso rips?  I tried one last night, movie only with no menus…about a 20gb file.  A couple minutes in it started freeze framing.  I skipped ahead to get past it and another couple minutes in the audio(Dolby TrueHD) started cutting out.  The player is on the newest firmware 2.07.17

I have had no problems with Iso files I have played several over that in size however none with True HD just master HD and if I am right it just plays the core DTS. I would ask how you are using your hub connected to a server playing from internal source where is your file in question located?

Are you on the latest firmware or an older version?

BD ISO nav does NOT support menus.

BD navigation requires a JAVA engine to be running, and the WDs aren’t going to do that.  I know of only a few boxes that do that, and they’re substantially more expensive.

Dolby TrueHD is supported, but DTS-HD is not.

This is with all versions of firmware.

Like I said I don’t have menus, just the movie.  The iso files played great on the HTPC with PowerDVD.  I used ImgBurn to create the iso file, is there another software that would work better or maybe a setting I should have chosen that makes it more compatible with the WDTV?

djc11369 wrote:

Is this thing just not powerful enough for Blu-ray iso rips?  I tried one last night, movie only with no menus…about a 20gb file.  A couple minutes in it started freeze framing.  I skipped ahead to get past it and another couple minutes in the audio(Dolby TrueHD) started cutting out.  The player is on the newest firmware 2.07.17

Apparently, reading comprehension is in short supply, here.:smileyvery-happy:

I rip all my BDs to MKV using PavTube’s ByteCopy and they play flawlessly on my Hub. Don’t judge a file by how it plays on a PC. Major codec differences make the comparison irrelevant.

If you’re using wireless, that can happen frequently.   I’ve never had a problem playing 30+ gigabyte BD rips on my hub via wired ethernet…

I ripped a couple of chapters to MKV using Handbrake and it played back flawlessly so I’m going to rip a few movies that way and see how it goes.  I don’t get the HD audio that way however.  Thanks for the tip, I’ll give the PavTube ByteCopy a try.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you’re using wireless, that can happen frequently.   I’ve never had a problem playing 30+ gigabyte BD rips on my hub via wired ethernet…

Nope, no wireless either.  I copied it to the internal hard drive of the hub and the hub is wired network wise…not that the network should make a difference this way anyhow.

djc11369 wrote:

I ripped a couple of chapters to MKV using Handbrake and it played back flawlessly so I’m going to rip a few movies that way and see how it goes.  I don’t get the HD audio that way however.  Thanks for the tip, I’ll give the PavTube ByteCopy a try.

ByteCopy preserves the audio in original format. That’s the main reason I got it, to keep my HD audio soundtracks.

Okay, I think I’ve got this figured out.  I tried the PavTube and the playback results were the same with the MKV, the picture would start freeze framing and audio dropping out.  I then switched the audio track from TrueHD to Dolby Digital and no more freezing.  So in conclusion there must be a bug with TrueHD audio.  I don’t know if this is firmware related or not but I’m going to try rolling back to see if it fixes it.

I didn’t know Dolby TrueHD was even supported in .mkv… I’d always thought it was only supported in TS streams, and would never play properly, if at all, form any other container.

I let my Onkyo receiver do all the audio processing, so TrueHD does not cause me any issues with my MKV files.

Okay, I’m beginning to think the unit has issues.  I tried another movie with DTS MA and it starts freezing also.  I didn’t have another audio track to try in this one.  I rolled back the firmware a rev and the same thing.

Miami_Son wrote:

I let my Onkyo receiver do all the audio processing, so TrueHD does not cause me any issues with my MKV files.

I’m also letting my Onkyo receiver do the audio processing.  I’m at a loss now other than downgrade my rips.  i can do that but now I’m wondering if its worth the hassle or send it back and wait for them to work the bugs out in the next generation(s). 

Okay, had a nights sleep now and feeling less frustrated.  I must be either doing something differently that others aren’t or I really do have a defective unit.  I use DVDFab to decrypt and then use ImgBurn to create the ISO.  I select the entire folder structure for the ISO (BDMV/Certificate folders) and did the same when I tried PavTube.  Is this how you guys are doing it or are you selecting just the stream?  Looking for guidelines/settings used from anyone that’s doing this with success.

On a side note I’ve noticed that with the firmware downgrade the interface seems faster but the file transfer speed is much slower…from 8 MB/s to 5 MB/s

I’ve never had problem with .iso Blu-ray, I have some in the internal hard disk of the hub and plays perfectly both audio and video.