Blu-ray/DVD ISO support?

Hello,

Does the WDTV offer full support for DVD and Blu-ray ISO files, including menu navigation?

Thanks,

Odai.

Yes to DVD, no to Blu-Ray.

I have ripped a couple of my Blu-Rays to ISO using ClownBD. This method does not rip the menus. only the main movie, audio and selected subtitles, but with no quality loss at all. These movies are playable on my WD TV, which I just received yesterday.

Does anyone know if WD is going to add Blu Ray ISO support for menus? It sure would be nice to be able to access the special features…

Harlock

No, it will not happen (blu-ray menus use Java and WD does not plan to add this – I’m not sure any maker will).

Hello,

Sorry to bring this up again, but I’ve been trying for a few days now to get the “DVD menu” functionality going on my WDTV live, but so far have had no success.

I’ve tried using the original DVD ISO and simply using the “video_ts” folder, but both methods only allow me to view the main feature (film). No menus are accessible.

Any ideas on what I should do?

With the live, you have to be running beta firmware. Are you?

Harlock wrote:

Does anyone know if WD is going to add Blu Ray ISO support for menus?

Probably not given the fact that only players from quite a different price range like the Dune Base & Co currently support BD menus.

Actually, BD functionality is being worked on over at wdlxtv for an upcomming version of the live plus wdlxtv firmware.  There is a video posted of some preliminary success.  Early stages of development but looks very promising.

I don’t think so. I’ve tried having a look at WD’s site but it’s somewhat difficult to navigate. Could you possibly provide a link to the required firmware?

Just to be sure, this firmware is compatible with all regional variations of the WDTV Live right?

Once I have the firmware installed, what exactly would I have to do to have full DVD menu functionality? Would simply copying the video_ts folder onto the drive be enough?

Thanks,

Odai.

Odaik wrote:

I don’t think so. I’ve tried having a look at WD’s site but it’s somewhat difficult to navigate. Could you possibly provide a link to the required firmware?

Just to be sure, this firmware is compatible with all regional variations of the WDTV Live right?

Once I have the firmware installed, what exactly would I have to do to have full DVD menu functionality? Would simply copying the video_ts folder onto the drive be enough?

Thanks,

Odai.

The best and easy way is to simply play an .iso image. The firmware is compatible world wide.

Thanks for your reply.

Could you point me in the direction of the latest download at all, as the threads I’ve found on this forum all contain dead links (I’m assuming WD don’t want too many downloading the beta upgrade).

Also, as using an ISO file would make it more difficult to play on Windows, would it be at all possible to simply use the video_ts folder with the WDTV Live, and still retain the menu functionality? Or is this definitely only possible for ISO files?

EDIT: I  found an alternate download link here:

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=21240&st=0

Is this the correct version/file?

Drop the crappy WMP and playback from ISOs with VLC, no previous mounting required.

Unfortunately, all my DVD’s are backed up as video_ts folders, it has been very difficult to get images without bugs.

Is the WDTV live meant to be compatible with this form of media then?

I have tried some titles, and most work fine without a single glitch. However, sometimes I do get a few issues.

For example, some titles, once I have selected the appropriate VOB file, will simply play for less than a second (literally just a flash on the screen) and then will immediately return to the WDTV media list.

Also, sometimes the aspect ratio is off (vertically “squashed”).

Sometimes I cannot select any menu items (the “cursor” does not appear and the menu visualisation just keeps playing on and on like a normal video).

With the problematic titles, the issue did not replicate itself whatsoever on any of the Windows based platforms I had on the network. Also, checking the size and number of files in each video_ts folder, it appears that they are all identical to the folders on the respective source DVD.

I thought originally it would be an issue with the method of ripping. But I’ve tried both DVDFab and DVD Decrypter, and simply copying and pasting from the DVD (sometimes this trips the copy protection, sometimes not), but it doesn’t seem to make a difference which one I use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To be honest, I’m hoping this is simply another bug in the buggy beta firmware which will eventualy be fixed - would mean much less of a headache overall. :smiley:

That’s one of the primary reasons that ISOs are more favorable…

With VOBS, You DO need to be aware of which VOB you actually “PLAY.”   Normally, pressing ENTER on the vob named VIDEO_TS.VOB is what will enable the full DVD navigation.  Pressing PLAY or ENTER on any other files can have unusual results.

I have tried simply playing the video_ts file, but that is where the “flashing” problem occurs. If I select another .VOB file, it tends to be the case that I end up half way through the main feature or something similar.

I have also tried putting the whole lot in a folder called “VIDEO_TS” and hitting the play button on that folder, but then it just jumps straight to the main feature film, and the “menu” option is greyed out.

When playing from a windows platform however, I can simply select any VOB file and it will play just as if I have inserted the actual disc.

I would suggest you try using ISO then…

I have tried getting ISO images of the discs, but the player does not seem to be able to play them. The video looks corrupted and and keeps “skipping”. The same happens on Windows, so I’m guessing it’s the ripping method. No matter what program I use, the same happens. Also, it would take me forever to redo my entire DVD collection in ISO format.

So, if this firmware is intended to support the VIDEO_TS format, then I’d greatly appreciate any help on solving this problem without having to use ISO’s.

Has the problem been reported by others? Considering all the titles play absolutely fine on Windows platforms, it would seem that the problem lies with the player.

…Nope…   

Generally the issues you describe (especially the fact that even ISOs fail) tend to indicate something systemically wrong with your rips.   Nothing can be done about it in the WDTV… 

What is the reccommended method for ripping (without having to create images) to ensure these problems don’t occur?

If there is something wrong with the way the data has been ripped, why do I not experience any issues on Windows, and how is it most of the rips work fine on the WDTV?

Thanks,

Odai.

EDIT: I’ve just tried again, and the problem has disappeared. I made no changes whatsoever to any of the data, and the problem is intermittent, wouldn’t that mean for sure the problem is with the player?