Big mistake to upgrade to OS 5

Ok so your existing Disk were not formatted inside of the My Cloud which means the swap space is probably smaller than 2 GB. My Cloud OS 5 does not support < 2 GB swap space. You can verify by enabling ssh and running the following command.

cat /proc/partitions |grep sd*

If the swap space on your drive is < 2 GB, the following article includes the solution.

At any case, collect the system logs, send to support and let me know the case number.

Unfortunately, it didnā€™t worked.
Which logs? /var/logs?

My question is: why cannot read the volumes like in the OS3 version? How much costs to support this retro compatible volume reliability of OS3?

Regards,
Luca

Please send the system logs to support and let me know the case number

Now they are urging every OS3 user to upgrade to OS5:

At this time, we recommend you disconnect your My Book Live and My Book Live Duo from the Internet to protect your data on the device.
We have heard customer concerns that the current My Cloud OS 5 and My Cloud Home series of devices may be affected. These devices use a newer security architecture and are not affected by the vulnerabilities used in this attack. We recommend that eligible My Cloud OS 3 users upgrade to OS 5 to continue to receive security updates for your device.

https://www.westerndigital.com/support/productsecurity/wdc-21008-recommended-security-measures-wd-mybooklive-wd-mybookliveduo

Well OF COURSE they are recommending upgrading to OS/5.

• OS3 is ā€œend of lifeā€.

• WD has stopped maintaining OS3 just like they stopped upgrading whatever firmware the MyBookLive operates on. OS3 will suffer the same fate as the MyBookLive.

• Every product that runs OS3 either itself ā€œend of lifeā€; or has an upgrade path to OS5.

• OS5 is consistent with the direction WD is taking their NAS product line. More connectivity, with likely tie-ins to the ā€œedge roverā€ subscription functionality. (Keyword: Subscription). SO OF COURSE, they want you to upgrade

So - - - the real issue is not ā€œIs OS3 overā€; the question is ā€œWith what are you are you replacing OS3?ā€.
OS5 is the ā€œdefault choiceā€; however, just like PC and IOS privacy settings. . . . .the ā€œdefault choiceā€ is not necessarily the best choice.

(technology moves on. . . I no longer have CRT monitors. My keyboard/mice used to be wired. . .then wirelessDongle. . . now Bluetooth. My external storage devices used to be HDDs)

Well I followed the advice and upgraded my Gen 2 MyCloud devices and now they are unstable and crashing constantly. How is it so difficult to put up some firmware that is reliable given WD is in control of the hardware?

I think Iā€™m just going to shuck all these devices and put in a real NAS.

Anyone know what drives are inside?

ā€œhow is it so difficult to put up some firmware that is reliableā€

ANSWER : it is not easy

( on my testing of OS5 ex2 ultra- I decided to backup and remove my data)
did the firmware update and then put back the shares one at a time over a few days.
This was before we could adjust indexing

Some times the microcode needs more space and a much faster CPU